Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Is Linux being swallowed by commercial industry?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] Is Linux being swallowed by commercial industry?
« on: 2013/06/12, 00:31:09 »
I stumbled over Why Iā€™m Leaving Ubuntu for Debian

I didn't know Ubunto getting more and more closed and commercial, looking like Apple or something soon.

Also thinking of Android witch I think have linux as base and are sort of closed with a lot of hardware built and sold only working with Android ... and commercialized.

I wonder if the free Linux world is not being beaten but eaten by commercialization?

It's like if you can't beat them, join them....... and then destroy everything from the inside...?

Offline DeepDayze

• User
RE: Is Linux being swallowed by commercial industry?
« Reply #1 on: 2013/06/12, 01:05:32 »
Siduction is a breath of fresh air as its based on and 100% compatible with Debian :)

Yes Ubuntu is becoming commercialized but there are better choices out there like siduction :D

Offline brummer

• User
    • http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/
Re: Is Linux being swallowed by commercial industry?
« Reply #2 on: 2013/06/12, 06:33:10 »
Quote from: "vilde"

I wonder if the free Linux world is not being beaten but eaten by commercialization?

It's like if you can't beat them, join them....... and then destroy everything from the inside...?

The Linux Kernel is a commercial product anyway.
  who-wrote-linux
The last report stated out that just 16,2% of the last kernel changes are not be payed by a "commercial company".
1% is payed by Microsoft!!
But, that isn't as bad as it seems, there is nothing bad when open source could be used to make some money, and that company's invest in the linux kernel development, is a clear sign that they start to understand that open source isn't just a freaky niche, in opposite, it's a development model which open a bunch of possibility's even for clear "only commercial" interest.

That said, I want to add, that I, as well, didn't like what ubuntu do, but yea, like DeepDayze pointed out, there are still choices, like siduction. And no commercial vendor could change that ever.  :D

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: Is Linux being swallowed by commercial industry?
« Reply #3 on: 2013/06/12, 20:05:48 »
I'm a good capitalist -- I think it's great for people and their businesses to make money with FOSS (within the license terms, of course).  The more profitable it becomes to work with FOSS, the more it will be supported.

To me, it looks like the bigger blunder by Canonical is their Mir strategy -- they are already not binary compatible with Debian, and now they are going further away from the mothership with a display that no one else will support.  So their island is floating further out to sea, and becomes less accessible to users of the other larger distributions.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO