Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] corruption with nvidia  (Read 3627 times)

Offline sunrat

• User
[EN] corruption with nvidia
« on: 2018/03/26, 02:04:56 »
I have an old system with Core2Duo E8500 which I recommissioned and reinstalled with Nvidia GTX560 Ti. It was going ok but had minor glitches with Nouveau so I installed Nvidia driver and then it occasionally froze with keyboard unresponsive. Mouse would move but could not interact. This is how the screen looked when frozen:

I never had this kind of screen corruption with nouveau so have purged nvidia and reverted to nouveau. Was using a GTX970 in this for a while which is now in a newer computer and don't recall having issues with it.
I'm just posting to ask if anyone else has had similar issues?

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
Re: corruption with nvidia
« Reply #1 on: 2018/03/26, 21:48:06 »
With nouveau you have glitches. With nvidia which addresses the GPU better the system freezes and the graphics output has strong errors (I know such rectangles). It's very probably that the graphics accelerator is defective.

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2018/03/27, 00:20:41 »
It's very probably that the graphics accelerator is defective.
Exactly what I'm thinking. At least it will run for many days without a glitch on nouveau, whereas nvidia will freeze it almost every day. It's a 10 year old computer so I will probably go back to using the newer system daily and put this one back in a cupboard for emergencies.

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2018/04/22, 02:34:09 »
Just an update on this - computer has been used constantly since reverting to nouveau and has been working perfectly. Not a single graphics glitch.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #4 on: 2018/04/22, 15:20:20 »
I must have missed this thread somehow  :(

This has helped some people with this problem, it is hit & miss and doesn't work for everyone, YMMV  :(

In nvidia settings > xserver display configuration > advanced > and put a check mark next to

Code: [Select]
Force Full Composition Pipeline

Although now you don't have problems, you could always use the motto

Code: [Select]
if it ain't broke, don't fix it

:):)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2018/04/30, 03:04:43 »
Thanks for reply @piper. I missed notification for it too.
It ain't broke now...   ;)

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2018/07/05, 11:35:14 »
Postscript for this thread:
I tried Nvidia driver again with the above option posted by piper, but no improvement. I went back to nouveau but was still getting some flickering and drawing glitches. The solution ended up being to set "Tearing prevention ("vsync")" to "Never" in System Settings > Display and Monitor > Compositor. Possibly it was due to using a 4K monitor at 1920 x 1080 due to the GTX560Ti not being able to output 4K resolution.
It's been a few weeks now and display has been perfect with no glitches using nouveau. I haven't bothered or needed to try the Nvidia driver though.