BUGS > 2015.1

xorg-Neuinstallation-kein Login

<< < (2/2)

musca:
Hello,

--- Quote from: paxmark2 on 2016/02/19, 17:57:50 ---   i686 version equals pae to me.
--- End quote ---
That's the situation in ubuntu!

siduction has three kernel packages to offer:
 1)  linux-image-siduction-amd64 (integrated in the amd64.iso)

Our primary architecture is the 64 bits capable x86-64 or "amd64".
Don't worry about the "amd" name -- it is for intel and AMD processors sold in the last decade:
intel Core 2, Atom 230/330, Atom N400/N500  or AMD Athlon64, Opteron, Phenom, Sempron).
Beware: most the intel atoms of the bay trail systems can't execute 64-bit Linux, because of their 32-Bit UEFI implementation. siduction-amd64 doesn't support 32-bit UEFI.
The name "AMD64" honors the fact that this architecture was first invented by AMD and later cross-licensed with intel SSE2. Did you even notice that for over a decade the multi billion dollar company intel has tried to push the market to its own 64-bits archtitecture "Itanium"? For this reason when intel licensed the amd64 architecture they used funny names like "Enhanced Memory 64 Technology (EM64T, later renamed to intel 64)" to hide the fact.

2a) linux-image-siduction-686        (integrated in the i386.iso)
2b) linux-image-siduction-686-pae (available from the extra repo)

Thy olde x86 architecture as found in fields, forests and meadows.
Named after the intel i80686 processor it is best for
* intel: PentiumPro™ (© 1994), Pentium II, III, M, Pentium 4, Core Solo, Core Duo, Atom Z500/N270/N280)

* AMD Athlon Processors until AthlonXP (still without SSE2, dated 2002).Two of theese processors were special. The Pentium M was optimized for low power consumption, it was found in high performance notebooks and it doesn't support PAE (officially). The Pentium 4 Extreme Edition and the Pentium D are 64-bit capable, if the mainboard chipset permits the property, too.
On i386 systems equipped with more than 3 GB of RAM you might want to install the -pae kernel for advanced memory mapping.

greetings
musca

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version