Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Debian General Resolution: Init System Coupling  (Read 4311 times)

UP2L8

[EN] Debian General Resolution: Init System Coupling
« on: 2014/10/18, 08:05:41 »
A new GR has started about the init system in Debian, and how software
can be coupled to it (or not, as the case may be).

https://www.debian.org/vote/2014/vote_003

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Debian General Resolution: Init System Coupling
« Reply #1 on: 2014/10/18, 16:13:15 »
And that at the worst possible time - but hey, thats only debian, it effects us only marginally. We'll go with systemd, that was our choice - one can use any other init-system, but we will not support that - fair deal i think. I wrote about it before: As in the approach of Lucas Nussbaum we will take care, that other initsystems will work, we don't break them intentionally, if we can. But we will not put massive effort on other initsystems than systemd.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

UP2L8

« Reply #2 on: 2014/10/18, 18:00:05 »
The GR has to do with not allowing systemd to become intertwined in a number of processes/packages as it does by default.  It has nothing to do with not using systemd as the default init system.  At this point, I'm not interested in systemd  becoming intertwined in numerous processes/packages as it creates too many chances for something to break, IMO.  I think what Debian is proposing is a good idea.

If Debian goes through with detangling systemd from other processes/packages, I don't see how Siduction is going to work around that unless the devs are willing to put in extra work to maintain the distro.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2014/10/18, 20:39:02 »
Only a dump question: Your really understand the things you writing about? The proposal of Ian Jackson is the last attempt to make technical descisions by a GR and to overvote the TC - if i read this right. There is no sense in doing so - but thats a completely other story.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dieres

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/10/19, 10:38:53 »
Where do I read what GR and TC is ? I can' follow your Postings.
OK GR is General Resolution but Googled TC = Traffic Control can't match the above meaning?

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/10/19, 13:20:27 »

Offline dieres

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/10/19, 19:10:14 »
Thanks ayla

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/10/20, 20:40:32 »
Actualy it is abbreviated CTTE. Here is some more input on it: https://www.debian.org/devel/tech-ctte 

greetz
devil