Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Beware of some fallout in the next few days - Qt 5.7.1 transition started  (Read 9558 times)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
As the topic said, the Qt 5.7.1 transision has started and the first packages will hit sid soon - so please be carefull.

It will take slightly more packages with it in a KDE installation:
http://paste.debian.net/891445/
« Last Edit: 2016/11/01, 17:26:47 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline CCarpenter

• User
    • http://www.greenvalleyranchschwand.de
Be careful anyway ´til 05.11.2016, this is the next freeze.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
5. November is only the start of the transition freeze, soft freeze (no new packages, no re-entry, 10-day migrations) starts on 5. Jan. and full freeze on 5. Feb. 2017.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Additional - planned and acked ongoing transitions are allowed after 2016/11/05 - so this date don't mean: "Fine, i can hit <Enter> without thinking until freeze is over" - transition freeze means only that there will be no new packages that introduce abi or api changes. Also normal dependencies can and will break things
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline CCarpenter

• User
    • http://www.greenvalleyranchschwand.de
Thanks for the info.

KrunchTime

"Fine, I can hit <Enter> without thinking until freeze is over" LOL!

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User

Offline samoht

• User
This evening d-u succeeded without any package removals!
But: Login by sddm not possible, login mask disappeared, KDE Plasma not usable

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Yes, no packages to remove does not mean there is no breakage.
So the warning is still up!

mylo

Thanks for this clear advice!

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
"He's dead, Jim!"

okay, that's what test machines can do for us:
At least after a "dpkg-reconfigure plasma-desktop" I got to the point that the splash screen freezes.
only yakuake still works, but I couldn't start any other graphical apps.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Everything works ...  but, no taskbar, quicklaunch

conky and wbar on the desktop, I pretty much open everything with wbar, (konq, dolphin, firefox, thunderbird, mythtv, amarok, systemsettings) no problems with yakuake

EDIT: I also have no problems with sddm
« Last Edit: 2016/11/05, 15:25:16 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
The problem is that a lot of qt5-packages are already on v. 5.7.1-206110-21-n (where n is 2, 4 or 5). But not all qt5-packages are on that version yet. Specialy the qml-related ones are not. You can check with
Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep qt5 A solution would be to downgrade all packages with  5.7.1-206110-21-n (where n is 2, 4 or 5) to testing or just wait it out (which could be a few days).
« Last Edit: 2016/11/05, 18:34:46 by devil »

Offline drb

• User
Missed the warnings after being away for a week so, yesterday, ended up with a box that froze on desktop start up.

d-u today seems to have solved the problem for me

Offline kokurya

• User
Same here. Missed the warning but with today dist-upgrade everything seems to be ok again.
Linux is highly user friendly, it is just highly selective who it is friends with.