Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [URGENT] Plasma 5 becoming the default for siduction soon  (Read 29225 times)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: [URGENT] Plasma 5 becoming the default for siduction soon
« Reply #75 on: 2015/07/18, 13:36:01 »
Quote from: hightime
I just upgraded three systems using option 'C'. Worked without any real problems.

I do note a few small issues with the new plasma:

- startup time from login to desktop seems to be a little longer than before
- no way to make the clock in the panel display in 24-hour format
- it doesn't restore saved sessions properly, and if you have windows open on several desktops they all get restored to the first desktop.

What does this show ?

Code: [Select]
apt-cache policy kde-standard
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

kli

« Reply #76 on: 2015/07/18, 13:38:46 »
I have three problems (today DU):

(1) The session is not storred correctly, at next login all windows are are placed within the first virtual workspace rather than nicely spreaded over the different workspaces.

(2) kmix does not start:

QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

(3)The volume switches to maximum after some activities, but can be decreased by alsamixer.

Any hints?

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #77 on: 2015/07/18, 16:54:06 »
(2) kmix does not start:

I had this problem after the upgrade to 5.13.  To solve it I copied /usr/share/applications/kmix.desktop to ~/.config/autostart

hightime

« Reply #78 on: 2015/07/18, 17:46:21 »
I installed kde-standard which pulls in a number of other kde apps. This seems to have fixed the problem with the long pause before it gets to the desktop when I first login. Desktop startup is quite snappy now.

(3)The volume switches to maximum after some activities, but can be decreased by alsamixer.

I also experience this. For example I go into regional settings/formats. Make a change. Click Apply and I get blasted by a beep. Set volume down to a reasonable level. Go back into formats make a change and click Apply. It sets volume back to 100% and blasts me again.

Offline orinoco

• User
  • Bullshit artist
« Reply #79 on: 2015/07/20, 01:22:02 »
I just upgraded using method c. Now all my Icons in the taskbar are lost and HPLIB Status Service is yelling "No system tray dedected on this system. Unable to start, exiting".

Santa

« Reply #80 on: 2015/07/20, 02:00:18 »
I just upgraded using method c. Now all my Icons in the taskbar are lost and HPLIB Status Service is yelling "No system tray dedected on this system. Unable to start, exiting".

Do you have kde-standard installed? Did you try with a fresh user account?

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #81 on: 2015/07/20, 02:32:33 »
HPLIB Status Service is yelling "No system tray dedected on this system. Unable to start, exiting".
What I posted above is the fix for the system tray problem.

Offline horo

• User
« Reply #82 on: 2015/07/20, 09:27:45 »
I installed kde-standard which pulls in a number of other kde apps. This seems to have fixed the problem with the long pause before it gets to the desktop when I first login. Desktop startup is quite snappy now.

I also experience this. For example I go into regional settings/formats. Make a change. Click Apply and I get blasted by a beep. Set volume down to a reasonable level. Go back into formats make a change and click Apply. It sets volume back to 100% and blasts me again.

Maybe this is the flat_volumes problem? :
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5300.0
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2rjiaa/horrible_decisions_flat_volumes_in_pulseaudio_a/

Ciao, Martin
omnia vincit pecunia :(

Offline orinoco

• User
  • Bullshit artist
« Reply #83 on: 2015/07/20, 20:21:09 »
Do you have kde-standard installed? Did you try with a fresh user account?

I have installed kde-full after d-u. I will check it with a new temporary account.

Offline ghstryder

• User
« Reply #84 on: 2015/07/20, 21:20:57 »
Thank you Horo!! My eardrums thank you as well. I had assumed the volume issue was new and would get fixed at some point. I never managed the right combination of search terms to see that post.

hightime

« Reply #85 on: 2015/07/26, 18:02:38 »
Setting "flat-volume=no" fixed the volume problem.

I'm finding that some aspects of plasma5 are less flexible and less user-friendly that before. For example, I like the time to display in 24-hour format. Previously it was very easy to set this. Now there is no straight-forward way to accomplish this. The only way, apparently, is to select "detailed settings" and set time to some particular country. So instead of 6 or 8 different choices there are 150 or so countries to choose from. A step backwards for sure.

If I set my time format choice to United Kingdom I get the 24-hour time format, but it also changes the calendar so that the week starts on Monday. There doesn't seem to be any way to just change the format for time.

holgerw

« Reply #86 on: 2015/07/27, 07:18:21 »
Hello @hightime,

trying to change time format is annoying, I have similar issues with it.

But keep in mind that kf5 and plasma5 are under strong developement, I'm sure, that a lot of features, we had with KDE4, aren't canceled in new kf5, they aren't implemented yet.

Kind regards,
  Holger