Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] gnome-keyring vs kwallet vs keepassxc  (Read 3013 times)

Offline gour

• User
[EN] gnome-keyring vs kwallet vs keepassxc
« on: 2023/11/08, 10:03:47 »
Hello,

when I was using Xfce, I did manage my msmtp/isync passwords by using libsecret/gnome-keyring service.

After migrating to KDE I read that Kwallet does have support for libsecret, but was not able to retrieve passwords, although it seems I'd have to rework folder for storing them.

Then I've tried with Keepassxc's integration with libsecret service, but was informed that first I would have to disable gnome-keyring. By further inspection I've discovered that few gnome-keyring packages are installed and the process is running.

My question is whether you recommend to keep running gnome-keyring under KDE, to uninstall it and use Keepassxc integration or to try with kwallet?

Offline synapsenstau

• User
Re: gnome-keyring vs kwallet vs keepassxc
« Reply #1 on: 2023/11/12, 17:12:35 »
I've been using KeepassXC for years under KDE with Firefox plugin and Plasma integration. This works well for me and there are no problems. The Android app works well too.
Currently the only disadvantage is that it doesn't support passkeys. But that should change soon (>= v2.8 ).
..::: Intel® Core™ i5-6600 :::..::: 16 GB Ram :::..
..::: 1 TB Nvme :::..::: 1 TB SSD :::..::: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 :::.

Offline gour

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2023/11/13, 13:03:32 »
I've been using KeepassXC for years under KDE with Firefox plugin and Plasma integration. This works well for me and there are no problems. The Android app works well too.

Thank you for sharing!

Currently the only disadvantage is that it doesn't support passkeys. But that should change soon (>= v2.8 ).

That is great to hear. How do you handle ssh keys to make them automatically added to ssh-agent ?

Offline synapsenstau

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2023/11/13, 16:42:14 »
I don't use it as an ssh agent, but after this it shouldn't be a problem.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-integrate-ssh-key-authentication-into-keepassxc/
..::: Intel® Core™ i5-6600 :::..::: 16 GB Ram :::..
..::: 1 TB Nvme :::..::: 1 TB SSD :::..::: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 :::.

Offline gour

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2023/11/14, 08:56:48 »
I don't use it as an ssh agent, but after this it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks a lot! I configured 95%, but forgot to enable to automatically add entry to ssh-agent.  :-[