Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] forum  (Read 9192 times)

belze

[EN] forum
« on: 2012/01/02, 08:04:50 »
Hi, i'm interested in siduction (downloadnig right now) and so i was looking at the forum (the most important help for every user of aptosid). I see there is no separation between English part of the forum and the German one. I mean, if i would like to see "unread" posts i will see also posts written in german: this is useless for me, i can't understand german... 8)
Congratulations again, hope to be soon a new user (i read somewhere about fast installation... let's see)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
forum
« Reply #1 on: 2012/01/02, 09:28:04 »
We will move the website in a couple weeks, after that there will be separation.

greetz
devil

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
forum
« Reply #2 on: 2012/01/02, 15:33:12 »
I hope the separation will not be too extreme.  Even though I am also not a German reader, modern browsers like my chromium-browser let one do a translation with a click of the mouse, and you can see from the titles in the German forum that there are some very useful topics.  For example, Holger found some information about installing on a SSD that is not in the English forum:

http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=1628

So, if there can be a link on the page to also go to the other language forum, that would be a convenience for users who would like to check both forums.
« Last Edit: 2013/11/10, 02:20:01 by ayla »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline DeepDayze

• User
forum
« Reply #3 on: 2012/01/02, 15:49:20 »
Quote from: dibl
I hope the separation will not be too extreme.  Even though I am also not a German reader, modern browsers like my chromium-browser let one do a translation with a click of the mouse, and you can see from the titles in the German forum that there are some very useful topics.  For example, Holger found some information about installing on a SSD that is not in the English forum:

http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=1628

So, if there can be a link on the page to also go to the other language forum, that would be a convenience for users who would like to check both forums.

Ditto, Google translate does do a pretty good job of translating German so that I can get a decent idea of what's being discussed so that I can follow along with it.

Perhaps have both German and English sections on the same site as aptosid had separate sites
« Last Edit: 2013/11/10, 05:33:42 by ayla »

Offline ayla

• User
forum
« Reply #4 on: 2012/01/02, 17:23:54 »
hmm, like it to have both languages on the same side again, after sidux died.

But I would also like to have a complete overview by just opening my browser window without the need to scroll...

I think it's an advantage to have both languages in one place.
German users with not so skilled english will eventually not have a look at the english part if separated -and the other way around- even though they could help -or get help- in the other section.
Workload of the helpers may raise therefor.

greets
ayla

dpt

forum
« Reply #5 on: 2012/01/02, 19:36:37 »
Both languages should be in one place.
I now know only one of the two,i.e.,English
but many may know both. And it may also help
others in learning a bit of the one they do not
know.

dpt

Offline oduffo

• User
forum
« Reply #6 on: 2012/01/02, 21:14:55 »
Are we already in the voting process?

If so, here is +1 for "both languages in one place / no separation"

Gruß
oduffo

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
forum
« Reply #7 on: 2012/01/02, 21:39:25 »
There will be a tab for DE or EN, so no need for a vote here :)

greetz
devil

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
forum
« Reply #8 on: 2012/01/02, 21:50:52 »
or even better: all, de, en
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
forum
« Reply #9 on: 2012/01/02, 22:06:45 »
Quote from: "ayla"
hmm, like it to have both languages on the same side again, after sidux died.

But I would also like to have a complete overview by just opening my browser window without the need to scroll...

I think it's an advantage to have both languages in one place.
German users with not so skilled english will eventually not have a look at the english part if separated -and the other way around- even though they could help -or get help- in the other section.
Workload of the helpers may raise therefor.

greets
ayla

+1 :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline ayla

• User
forum
« Reply #10 on: 2012/01/02, 23:38:27 »
Quote from: "agaida"
or even better: all, de, en

+1

dpt

forum
« Reply #11 on: 2012/01/03, 04:00:58 »
You need only 2, de and en.
Select one, or both. At least one.
KISS policy.

dpt

belze

forum
« Reply #12 on: 2012/01/03, 18:35:42 »
Well, i'd like to read all unread messages of the english forum.
I agree that with google translator i could read also the german part which has a lot of interesting posts, but i just don't have enough time to do it, and i would like to focus on upgrade waring that i can understand immediately, and so on.
I like dpt's KISS policy ;)

Offline ralul

• User
forum
« Reply #13 on: 2012/01/03, 18:36:52 »
Remembering old sidux: When a discussion got ugly, it got totally ugly when en and de was discussed in one thread.

Beside thus problem in general I like both languages together. If there was a language tag it would be possible to have lang specific searches ...
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

damentz

forum
« Reply #14 on: 2012/01/03, 20:48:04 »
One small note, and this one irked me when I saw the new forum categories from aptosid...

Why is there a separation between software and hardware?  I feel that there are not enough issues that need explicit organization.  It also sets the precedent that your issues must clearly be one of the two to get real support, or your problem is unwanted.

Maybe we can consolidate to a General Support category and grow the categories as we notice patterns?  For instance, if we're getting a lot of questions and ideas about the kernel, create a category named 'Kernel' so that this new spontaneous niche now has a place to call home.

The general support would be the catch all and all the other categories would exist accordingly to growth and interest.  Remember, you can always add new categories, but it's a pain in the butt to consolidate correctly if you wait too long.

However, I could also be completely wrong here.  Maybe someone can tell me why the forums are set up this way,