Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  No root access possible on december xfce live CD  (Read 6777 times)

1sy8

No root access possible on december xfce live CD
« on: 2014/06/02, 23:02:55 »
Hi all,

I have quite similar problems as the ones described in installation of 13.1.0 xfce  . No sux contrarily to what the doc says (but I've seen another thread saying that it's no more present) and sudo passwd also doesn't work and neither does su. I'm pretty stuck .

The ethernet doesn't also work (dhcp seems not working)

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Re: No root access possible on december xfce live CD
« Reply #1 on: 2014/06/02, 23:32:28 »
Hello 1sy8,

please check your boot media by adding the kernelparameter md5sum.
You can do this with the F5 key in the boot menu or welcome screen (yes, before booting up that is).
This will check all files on the boot media and only continue if everything is okay.

Your network issue needs further investigation. Some devices need non-free firmware.
Please provide the output of "lspci -nn | grep -i net"

Another Option is the "fw-detect" command.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

1sy8

« Reply #2 on: 2014/06/03, 00:25:22 »
Hi musca
So all md5sum verified successfully.

Lspci returned Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection.
Fw-connect said to install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer.

BTW when I shutdown in xfce i fall back on tty1 instead of powering down.

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #3 on: 2014/06/03, 01:27:48 »
hello 1sy8,

the superuser has no passwd, so becoming root should work without asking for password.

su -   or  sudo  are both fine.

I have no xfce image here, and downloads are lengthy for me, sorry.

Intel gigabit cards don't need firmware, so you should be able to configure your network.
Either the graphical network-manager (or nmcli) or the ceni commandline tool should do the trick.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

1sy8

« Reply #4 on: 2014/06/03, 01:39:41 »
su - doesn't complete (the command just hangs, even ctrl-c can't kill it)
Same for sudo passwd, su-to-root ...
Ceni requires root priviledges! It asks for a passwd but i dunno it (there's none).
chromium can't open! Same pbms with sidu-installer
« Last Edit: 2014/06/03, 08:43:49 by 1sy8 »

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/06/03, 14:37:33 »
No Xfce-iso here, too, but as far as I know in all siduction livemedia the user "siducer" has the password "live". So if you enter 'sudo ceni' the password sudo asks for should be the one from the user, please try live.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/06/03, 17:06:25 »

1sy8

« Reply #7 on: 2014/06/03, 18:02:53 »
@der_bud In fact, for Ceni, the prompt didn't even come up so I couldn't type the password in.
@absolut sorry I can't read German. I provided your second link in my first post. It's pretty much the same bug. Unfortunately no definitive solution on the other thread.

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2014/06/04, 10:06:50 »
@1sy8

can you boot another siduction live iso (e.g. kde or 32/64 bit) to reproduce the issue?
can you please give info about your hardware? --> inxi -F
can you please remove the quiet grub cheat code and see what messages come during live boot?

1sy8

« Reply #9 on: 2014/06/04, 19:05:56 »
The situation is no better with the KDE iso. There was also an annoying pbm just after booting: the wallpaper was briefly there and suddenly the screen went black (even in safe Gfx settings). It took a long time before the DE loaded fully.

Unfortunately I can't copy the inxi output here as I'm unable to mount any other partition on the computer and still no Internet access. The box is a Dell Precision M4500 with Intel Core i7 Q720, Nvidia GT216GLM Quadro FX 880M

The No quiet cheat code (F5 menu) didn't report any noticeable issue.

1sy8

« Reply #10 on: 2014/06/07, 23:42:52 »
I was told to try memtest on irc. After 4h22, 2 passes and 85% of 3rd pass, no errors ...

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #11 on: 2014/06/08, 00:25:19 »
just boot with the option 3 into the non graphic target. if nox work, the other isos should work too.
One could try the cli-installer as root. this should work without network. After installing i would fix the loose ends.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

1sy8

« Reply #12 on: 2014/06/08, 13:09:53 »
Hi melmarker. How do you get option 3, which cheat code or menu?
I followed suggestion on irc to proceed with the noX install. Managed to do it and as i had su working, could setup the wired connection with ceni (the live cd couldn't  get a dhcp lease). Could d-u without much hassle (237MB to download, not a single package to be removed, just purged nfs-common because of an error).

Now I'm going to install a DE (should be xfce).

My other big concern is the wireless card Broadcom BCM43224 14e4:4353 (ok I'll open a new thread if need be)