Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Discuss the siduction-cinnamon dev-release  (Read 16148 times)

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
[EN] Re: Discuss the siduction-cinnamon dev-release
« Reply #15 on: 2014/10/14, 12:27:02 »
Hello ayla,

sorry, it only means that proprietary software is not preinstalled. I will clearify that.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Re: Discuss the siduction-cinnamon dev-release
« Reply #16 on: 2014/10/14, 12:52:37 »
Hello JohnML,

Removable media (usb or optical) appear in nemo and on the desktop.
but my windows and linux partitions from the internal disk do not.

And yes, the /disks directory is weird and was introduced by upstream.
I will talk to the debian cinnamon team about it.

greetings
musca

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #17 on: 2014/10/14, 13:12:08 »
Removable media (usb or optical) appear in nemo and on the desktop.
but my windows and linux partitions from the internal disk do not.

And yes, the /disks directory is weird and was introduced by upstream.
I will talk to the debian cinnamon team about it.
What I really miss in comparishion with dolphin is the posibility to mount the internal disks from a user nemo by simply getting requestet for the root password. I have to start nemo from a root terminal to mount them which means every file I copy from another disk is owned by root and I have to change permissions manually. Of course, this is more secure, but not very user friendly. I know, i could mount them in fstab insteed, but I avoid this because of systemd's behaviour when an uuid changed -which happens from time to time when I'm  playing around...

Edit:
Thats strange; I made another install on a USB-disk, dist-upgraded and now I have the internal disks in my sideboard as user and can mount them per requestet root password... But starting nemo from console as root -no disks??
Argghh... think I've played to much today,will look at it again an other day.

greets
ayla
« Last Edit: 2014/10/14, 19:44:47 by ayla »

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #18 on: 2014/10/15, 17:18:36 »
Hello ayla,

the weird /disks directory was inherited from latest fll changes. Now by default all internal partitions have entries in the fstab, we will have to discuss this behaviour.

After i commented out in /etc/fstab anything that does not belong to the cinnamon install (ofcourse keep / , /home and /boot), after next reboot nemo shows the expected behaviour: Now nemo presents partitions and asks for root-pw.

In my personal opinion the default should stay away from other data and not mount additional partitions.

greetings
musca

Offline JohnML

• User
« Reply #19 on: 2014/10/15, 18:21:56 »

After i commented out in /etc/fstab anything that does not belong to the cinnamon install (ofcourse keep / , /home and /boot), after next reboot nemo shows the expected behaviour: Now nemo presents partitions and asks for root-pw.

greetings
musca

... except ntfs partitions that stay in /disks/disk?part?

That's really strange!

UP2L8

« Reply #20 on: 2014/10/20, 03:48:02 »
While I'm really comfortable with KDE, one never knows what will happen when Frameworks 5 is released.  It would be nice to have a backup plan, just in case there's a repeat of KDE 4.0.
Based on an early review in the Oct 2014 issue of Linux Voice, I don't think you have to worry about KDE 5.

GoinEasy9, the bigger version of the screenshot which devil used in the Releasnote/News is here:
 https://mediacru.sh/0SzGhyvDU6Wt.png, one of mine http://paste.siduction.org/20141013110224.png
Nice screenshots; thank you for sharing.

ok - standard security is annoying - no need to argue, thats a fact.
+1
« Last Edit: 2014/10/20, 03:52:05 by UP2L8 »

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2014/10/22, 18:08:11 »
ok - standard security is annoying - no need to argue, thats a fact.
+1

I won't argue here whether or not this might be a security issue, but everyone who feels it is simply should disable this:
KDE Control Center -> System Administration -> Login Manager -> Convenience -> Preselect User -> 'none'
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #22 on: 2014/10/22, 23:24:30 »
I did a installation that I later converted xfce desktop , there was two things I thought was wrong. The time was not right set, I did set the time zone in the installer but the orage clock in the panel was wrong, also the xfce panel clock was wrong, I had to run dpkg-reconfigure tzdata  ones to make that right.

The other issue is already mentioned before, right clicking to a textfile  will bring up a full screen window to chose if you want to open with medit or vim.

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Removed libglib2.0* and its dependencies.
« Reply #23 on: 2014/11/03, 22:54:21 »
Hello,

caused by a mistyped packagename (libglib2.0 instead libglib2.0-0) we have found some unneeded and possibly even unwanted packages in the cinnamon dev-release. You can clean up with this command which removes 19 packages:
Code: [Select]
apt-get purge libglib2.0-0-dbg libglib2.0-0-refdbg libglib2.0-cil libglib2.0-cil-dev libglib2.0-dev libglib2.0-doc libglib2.0-tests mono-4.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime mono-runtime-common mono-runtime-sgen libmono-corlib4.0-cil libmono-corlib4.5-cil libmono-security4.0-cil libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil libmono-system-security4.0-cil libmono-system-xml4.0-cil libmono-system4.0-cil
thanks towo` for this rather weird finding.

greetings
musca

mdavies5

« Reply #24 on: 2014/11/30, 02:49:03 »
I am a long time user of Cinnamon with Mint LMDE and now trying it with Siduction. There are 2 annoying differences which I have found.
1. I have correctly set my region and date formats in the system and in Nemo preferences(yyyy-mm-dd etc). Nemo works fine but if I want to open a file from any app menu (EG medit/file/open) the dates are either shown as a time for todays files or as a Day for earlier files (EG Wednesday).
2. I have created bookmarks in Nemo which appear in the sidebar. If I try to open a file as above the bookmarks do not appear. You must re-add them in the "Open" dialog.
Incidentally, I'm not crazy about mounted disks being added to the "disks" directory. Windows users may appreciate it but I prefer the Linux traditional method of using /mnt or /media and treating them as a file not as a disk.
Cheers

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #25 on: 2014/11/30, 17:20:59 »
Hello mdavies5,
thanks for your detailed feedback. I can confirm all of your three issues. 

1. Nemo is a GTK 3.0 application while  medit is a GTK 2.0 application and uses gtk2 open dialog. Obviously gtk2 has different defaults. Having two dateformats for recent and older files is a feature (e.g. the "ls" command has this feature, too). I don't know yet how to configure the gtk2 default.

2. Same for the bookmarks. It seems there is no synchronization of the bookmarks between gtk3 and gtk2. I have no solution to this.

3. Full ACK, I don't like having those mountpoints in the "/disks" directory. This is not a dedicated cinnamon feature but a heritage from fullstory, the framework that we use to create our livemedia. The fll-live-scripts create theese directories in live mode and the installer adds them to your /etc/fstab at installation time. Please feel free to edit your fstab to get rid of this feature. I think the team will need to discuss this to find a better solution.

greetings
musca

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #26 on: 2014/11/30, 17:54:43 »
This is a long standing bug/feature in siduction: http://bugs.siduction.org/issues/1081

Unfortunally it isn't so easy to solve, follow the princple of least surprise: Some people love it, some people hate it, but it is around since sidux days, so we should find a sensible approach. This approach will be a checkbox in the installer to take over the generated fstab entries or drop them.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #27 on: 2014/11/30, 20:12:21 »
I just installed siduction-cinnamon on a VM.  My only comment at this time is that the installer would not recognize a single 8GB hdd, filesystem ext4, as an available partition.  It was necessary to make a small swap space at the end of it, so it had a sda1 and sda2 partition, and then the installer was happy to recognize sda1 as an available partition.  This may or not happen on a real hard drive (I wouldn't install a real system with no swap, anyway).  Just FYI.  I will play with the cinnamon desktop system another day.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #28 on: 2014/11/30, 22:30:55 »
Here is the 14.1 cinnamon VM on my siduction desktop box.

« Last Edit: 2014/12/01, 14:23:05 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO