Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] .xsession-errors overgrowth  (Read 3166 times)

Offline sunrat

• User
[EN] .xsession-errors overgrowth
« on: 2017/12/18, 00:07:38 »
My .xsession-errors file grows quickly and is currently over 150MB. It contains a lot of lines that seem more like info rather than errors such as "loading plugin ..." for many programs such as Kate an Deadbeef and seems to log every connection attempted by ktorrent.
Is this expected behaviour or a bug?

Some sample lines
Code: [Select]
loading plugin /opt/deadbeef/lib/deadbeef/flac.so
kdeinit5: Got EXT_EXEC '/usr/bin/dolphin' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/dolphin'
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 61592, resource id: 88080385, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
qt.accessibility.core: Cannot create accessible child interface for object:  PlacesView(0x555fe6bf5590)  index:  15
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/trash.so' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/trash.so'
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so'
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so'
kf5.kio.trash: Directory "/media/roger/Elements/.Trash-1000" exists but didn't pass the security checks, can't use it
kdeinit5: Got EXT_EXEC '/usr/bin/kate' from launcher.
** (pavucontrol:24607): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 34790, resource id: 92274693, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
trying to show an empty dialog
ksmserver: autostart service ("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kdeconnectd") finished with exit code  0
ksmserver: autostart service ("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1") finished with exit code  0
ksmserver: autostart service ("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/org_kde_powerdevil") finished with exit code  0
ksmserver: autostart service ("/usr/bin/xembedsniproxy") finished with exit code  0
Application '/usr/bin/akonadi_archivemail_agent' exited normally...
Application '/usr/bin/akonadi_akonotes_resource' exited normally...
There are a lot of errors logged which don't seem critical, but "exited normally" doesn't sound like an error.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: .xsession-errors overgrowth
« Reply #1 on: 2017/12/18, 05:05:27 »
You can get rid of .xsession-errors all together

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=6720.msg54752#msg54752
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2017/12/18, 05:23:04 »
You can get rid of .xsession-errors all together
Indeed you can and I already found a number of solutions to do this, the best of which appeared to be this cron job that limits it to 10,000 lines:
Code: [Select]
*/15      *     *       *       *       [ $(du -k .xsession-errors | awk '{ print $1 }') -gt 5000000 ] && tail -10000 /home/$(whoami)/.xsession-errors > /home/$(whoami)/.xsession-errorsSourced from here which also provides several other options.

I was mainly wondering why it logs so many events which appear not to be errors.
« Last Edit: 2017/12/18, 05:28:52 by sunrat »

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #3 on: 2017/12/18, 05:49:44 »
Quote from: sunrat
I was mainly wondering why it logs so many events which appear not to be errors.

That's a good question

A good read

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/60448

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+.xsession-errors+logs+so+many+events+which+appear+not+to+be+errors.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2017/12/24, 19:25:17 »
The only answer the universe has to tghat question is: it just freaks out from time to time. After having it grow many GBytes over night to fill my home toi the last bit I got rid of it once and for all. gone. pooof.