Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Anyone using bumblebee with siduction?  (Read 4159 times)

tlmiller

[EN] Anyone using bumblebee with siduction?
« on: 2012/03/04, 08:01:12 »
So my laptop that I have siduction on I hadn't been using due to it having the newer Alps touchpad that isn't recognized by synaptics.  Found the patched driver that allows synaptics to recognize and control that so I was able to disable tapping, and so I'm using it again.

The laptop also has Optimus technology (both Intel and Nvidia graphics cards).  Thus far, I've simply disabled Optimus and am running with the Nvidia graphics only.  However I've been reading about bumblebee and it seems pretty cool.  My question is if there's anyone using it, and if it works.  I don't need MASSIVELY huge 3d acceleration, but I do need enough so that my translucency and such work on the desktop, and I can enable cover switch for alt-tab.

So if you are using it, was it a PITA to get set up, and does it at least work well enough so that 3d effects function?

skfarblum

Anyone using bumblebee with siduction?
« Reply #1 on: 2012/04/03, 09:35:16 »

axel668

« Reply #2 on: 2012/04/04, 12:52:57 »
No experience with Siduction yet (only learned about this cool distro today), but Bumblebee under LinuxMint is working great (Asus 1215N), performance is roughly the same than under Windows on the same machine. As http://suwako.nomanga.net/ is based on the same Mint (Ubuntu) PPA I'm hoping it will work as nicely in Siduction (will post an update here as soon as I have tried).

However I'm not sure if you will be able to use it for Desktop acceleration. The concept of Bumblebee is, that the usual OS stuff (including desktop) runs against the internal (Intel) GPU and the Nvidia GPU is disabled for power saving. When you want Nvidia acceleration, you have to launch the process explicitly with the "optirun" command (like e.g. "optirun etracer").

You could maybe mess with the Init scripts to do something like optirun kde, but I don't see much benefit over your current solution (always using Nvidia). Usually Intel 3D is sufficient for Desktop effects, so maybe you should just give it a try - and post how it worked ;)

axel668

« Reply #3 on: 2012/04/06, 19:12:16 »
Tried it, works :)

tlmiller

« Reply #4 on: 2012/04/08, 22:45:01 »
Awesome.  Might have to try it out then.

The one thing I have issue with on my laptop is that the Nvidia GPU is so pathetic that it's really no better for acceleration than the Intel, BUT it does suck down quite a bit more power.  So I'd really like to use Bumblebee so that I can have 3d acceleration on the desktop with Intel, even if nothing ever uses the Nvidia one.  My only other choice is to disable Intel completely and use the Nvidia which sucks power.