Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Debian users will still be able to use syvinit  (Read 22738 times)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
[EN] Re: Debian users will still be able to use syvinit
« Reply #45 on: 2014/10/30, 17:16:15 »
Ok, some clarification about libsystemd0 - for those who can read and think after reading a word with systemd in it:
Code: [Select]
$ LANG=C aptitude show libsystemd0
Package: libsystemd0                     
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Multi-Arch: same
Version: 215-5+b1
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Maintainer: Debian systemd Maintainers <pkg-systemd-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 208 k
PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.14),
            libgcrypt20 (>= 1.6.1),
            liblzma5 (>= 5.1.1alpha+20120614),
            multiarch-support
Breaks: libsystemd0 (!= 215-5+b1)
Replaces: libsystemd0 (< 215-5+b1)
Description: systemd utility library
 The libsystemd0 library provides interfaces to various systemd components.
Homepage: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd

Tags: role::shared-lib
This library provide only well defined interfaces - eventually non-systemd components (replacements for systemd-components) can use this interfaces too - so every package with libsystemd0 as dependency is prepared for upcoming drop-in replacements. Really cool imho.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Debian users will still be able to use syvinit
« Reply #46 on: 2014/10/31, 19:54:59 »
Views of a professional sysadmin on systemd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-97qqUHwzGM

greetz
devil

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #47 on: 2014/11/03, 13:33:48 »
These are my last words on systemd here.  I've better things to do in the time I have left. And anyway the systemd controversy will not be settled here.

melmarker: great chunks of the OS will still be dependant on libsystemd0. The "really cool" bit you mention is like saying "From now on you'll live up to your neck in mud but, hey, we'll give you a sponge to keep your face clean".

devil: My doctor is a professional yet he misdiagnosed my complaint.It needed a professional who could see beyond the symptoms to reach the correct diagnosis. Citing the Pope doesn't make it right only that he's the head of the Roman Catholic Church.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #48 on: 2014/11/03, 21:32:23 »
ok, clubex - i'm maybe unkind and not polite, but you should first learn to read and understand. Don't give up, it will be hard. After that you're eventually allowed to complain about things. Before i forget:

1.) Please  try not to be particularly  funny, english isn't my mothers tongue, so i miss eventual the point.
2.) Please, don't write so much utter bullshit - it really hurts and someone might believe that you're right.

Thanks.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #49 on: 2014/11/04, 11:14:17 »
@melmarker,
I suggest, that you - as "Global Moderator" - should apologize for your inappropriate wording.
Greetings
Tom

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #50 on: 2014/11/04, 12:41:07 »
Quote from: samoht
@melmarker,
I suggest, that you - as "Global Moderator" - should apologize for your inappropriate wording.
Greetings
Tom

Am I missing something ?

Can you show me where the inappropriate wording is and why is it inappropriate wording  ?
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #51 on: 2014/11/04, 14:46:33 »
Don`t want to start a flamewar: but,
don't write so much utter bullshit
, imho, is inappropriate.
@clubex has nowhere used such words in his posts.
In German we have a popular saying:
Getroffene Hunde bellen
Greetings
Tom

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #52 on: 2014/11/04, 15:04:07 »
you will not start a flamewar - but if you think that calling bullshit bullshit is inapropriate - i can't help. I tried to clarify the usage of libsystemd0 some posts ago and the reaction was ...

(ok, i don't use the word again) - So what?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #53 on: 2014/11/04, 21:18:22 »
http://blog.bofh.it/debian/id_454 - Nice heads-up for the onging GR by Marco d'Itri

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #54 on: 2014/11/04, 22:44:39 »
...and a interesting talk by one of the debian-systemd-maintainers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvy0e9kbAos

greetz
devil

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #55 on: 2014/11/05, 03:19:40 »
Don`t want to start a flamewar: but, Quotedon't write so much utter bullshit, imho, is inappropriate.
QuoteMade dogs barkGreetings
Tom
Don`t want to start a flamewar: but, Quotedon't write so much utter bullshit, imho, is inappropriate.
QuoteMade dogs barkGreetings
Tom

In English, and a few other languages,  we also have a popular saying

Shit Happens

To be honest, all I can say is Wow, Really !

wtf is this world coming to
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline tuxic

• User
"Many people live and die..., and all they do is process groceries."
                  H. Peavey

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #57 on: 2014/11/10, 21:16:33 »
Sharing some info:

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/66014-systemd-fallout-joey-hess-quits-debian-project
I cannot see how the Debian Technical Comitee has done any harm by just saying the new release should not unconditionally default on systemD when upgrading an existing Debian sysV installation. There may have been other  problems he had with some people we don't know about.

I have heard there is a chance to break any historical Debian record how fast this coming release will possibly be. This the fallout of systemD ?
« Last Edit: 2014/11/10, 21:21:55 by ralul »
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #58 on: 2014/11/10, 23:52:37 »
Imho the CTTE has done harm to debian - esp. one member. One can see this different, but its my opinion. And the harm will get bigger with the ongoing GR - there will be "winners" and "loosers" - because of a dead simple question about a init system - serious?

The situation with systemd is far better than before - i can change the initsystem to what ever i wanted to - no one hinder me with things like sysvinit being an essential package - (an initsystem essential - wtf???) - today i setup a strato vserver (debian stable) with upstart and reiserfs - both not really my wished configuration, but works perfectly fine - my homeserver is stable with strong dependencies to sid - sysvinit. And if openrc evolve i'm thinking about to use it eventually for some machines. Why not, i have the choice. :)