Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [solved] cannot add widgets to default panel in KDE Desktop  (Read 10908 times)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
[EN] RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: cannot add widgets to default pa
« Reply #15 on: 2013/02/21, 16:39:58 »
Looks like my $KDEHOME experience is shared across all three Debian/derivative installations on this laptop.

This is why I don't recommend (I myself did it for a time) sharing a home across the board, I know many people do, but I have seen way to much things being fubar with different distros. Just my 2 cents and not shared with the community.

Or, did I misread this and you aren't sharing your home ?
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

HunkirDowne

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: cannot add widgets to defaul
« Reply #16 on: 2013/02/22, 00:58:25 »
Quote from: "piper"
Looks like my $KDEHOME experience is shared across all three Debian/derivative installations on this laptop.

This is why I don't recommend (I myself did it for a time) sharing a home across the board, I know many people do, but I have seen way to much things being fubar with different distros. Just my 2 cents and not shared with the community.

Or, did I misread this and you aren't sharing your home ?

No, I'm not sharing my home in that manner.  I meant that what I see from my home in Siduction I also see in my homes in Mint and Debian.

Not that I think this is the issue, or even *an* issue, but it would appear that my KDE environment variables are undeclared ('echo $KDEHOME' returns white-space which I am interpreting as 'null').  But from what I read, this should mean that $KDEHOME points to the ~/.kde directory (likewise $KDEROOTHOME to /root/.kde) but it does not, at least not from what I can see from the command line.  I'm not sure why I *would* but I do not have a /root/.kde directory to begin with.

Right now, I am working under the possibility that somehow my plasma-desktop-appletsrc file may be partially corrupt -- at least the container for the default panel.  But I will need to compare the two containers to see if I see any unexpected differences.

I just reread an earlier post of mine and have discovered something at least mildly interesting.

Code: [Select]
@siductionbox:~$ cd $KDEHOME/.kde
bash: cd: /.kde: No such file or directory

@mint ~ $ cd $KDEHOME/.kde
bash: cd: /.kde: No such file or directory

@debian:~$ cd $KDEHOME/.kde
bash: cd: /.kde: Permission denied

First, I just noticed that the errors all expect to see '/.kde'.  I hadn't noticed before but this is right off the root, not the user's home.  In Siduction and Mint there is no '/.kde' but for some strange reason there is in Debian, hence the denial, rather than lack of existence.

So when I 'cd $KDEHOME' it takes me to ~/ (but not ~/.kde), but when I attempt 'cd $KDEHOME/.kde' it is trying to take me not to '~/.kde' but to '/.kde'.

Not sure what (if anything) to make of all that.

HunkirDowne

Re: RE: cannot add widgets to default panel in Plasma Deskto
« Reply #17 on: 2013/02/23, 23:55:06 »
Quote from: "clubex"
I had stability problems with the panel after the last KDE upgrade. Deleting the panel and creating a new default panel solved the problem.

This may turn out to be part of the ultimate solution and I was heading in this direction starting at some point before or after I read your post.  I've lost track at this point.

But I've recently noticed some instability issues as well and may end up taking your advice shortly.  For now, I can add plasmoids to the panel -- will get into the change in another reply but saw this on the way.

Thanks!!

HunkirDowne

Re: RE: Re: cannot add widgets to default panel in Plasma De
« Reply #18 on: 2013/02/24, 00:31:50 »
Quote from: "dibl"
I wonder whether your particular screen size/resolution is causing widget icons to be hidden even if they are "on" the panel. No one else has reported such a problem, but it may be that you have a lot of stuff on the panel and there's a problem displaying everything, or something like that.

Solution:
The default panel was not accepting new widgets (plasmoids) until after the 'task manager' plasmoid (widget) was deleted.

Problem and best guess at what was wrong:
While I do not fully understand what happened, I can now add widgets/plasmoids to the default panel.  I 'think' I know what the problem was but because I have already deleted the plasmoid that I think was causing the problem, I cannot confirm my hypothesis.  Nevertheless, I think you will agree that this is at least a possibility and also at least somewhat related to your post quoted above.

My 'task manager' plasmoid, I think, was set so that it was a "fixed" size and took up the remaining space in the panel so that nothing else would fit.  I had started deleting plasmoids that were already created in my second panel and I had already added the "Icon Only Task Manager" plasmoid on the second panel so I deleted the 'task manager' on the default panel and I noticed that the complexion of the panel changed.  Hard to describe in detail but it just looked a little different.  So I tried adding a widget and voila! -- it worked!

The thing that is confusing is that it did not seem to matter if I had the default panel scaled down or maximized, the 'task manager' would take up the remaining space even though it would resize with the panel.  The only thing I can think of is that it had some kind of fixed percentage of real estate that it was holding onto.

There are a few things about the default panel that I haven't learned how to replicate but by and large it is nowhere near the mystery to me it was before this all started.  Except for adding icons and a widget or two, I've never really delved into it that much but beginning to appreciate it in a little different light.

Thanks!

Acknowledgements:
This is such a strong forum for many reasons.

Certainly shouts out go to towo for the kernel and devil for the forum.  Their integrity to the project and attitude towards users is a shining example of how to take care of business without thumping the less knowledgable on the head with their expertise.

But dibl, clubex, and piper; each and every post was helpful to me in solving this dilemma.  Sometimes I learned a little and sometimes I learned alot, but all of it adds up to a greater understanding.

I actually "moderate" a forum myself, although it is not an online forum, but rather old-school: we sit around a table and talk.  :-D

There *I* am the one (because of my position and, ok, experience and knowledge) considered the most knowledgable on the subject, at least for now.  As the other forum members gain experience, they start asking some hard questions and we all learn more.  Y'all provide a good example of how I can do this better.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience.

One Last Note:
If any of you read this and can add detail to the solution, please do so.  I tried to highlight this "solution", 'for the record', so to speak, in hopes that it would be a little more obvious to future readers.  But, my "solution" lacks detail that I am currently unable to verify as correct.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: Re: RE: Re: cannot add widgets to default panel in Plasm
« Reply #19 on: 2013/02/24, 01:15:36 »
Good to hear that you solved it !
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck