Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?  (Read 14243 times)

Offline vayu

• User
[EN] Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?
« on: 2013/05/11, 21:03:01 »
I've been using Kubuntu for several years. I'm wanting a rolling release for KDE. I also want to have Cinnamon Desktop installed on my 2nd computer and would prefer using the same base distribution. I need some assistance to do that, there are some things I don't know how to go about.

Is there a base install of siduction without a desktop environment?  Would the procedure to install another desktop be install a base system, install login manager, install Cinnamon?  Would someone be willing to outline the steps for me?

(I did it successfully with Debian testing Gnome, which I then upgraded to unstable, then I installed Cinnamon from the unstable repositories and it all went well.  I would like to do the same with siduction.  Here's the catch, if possible I'd like to not start with Gnome.   Would that be too much to explain or might that be reasonably possible?)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?
« Reply #1 on: 2013/05/11, 21:21:57 »
Welcome!

Quote from: "vayu"
I'm wanting a rolling release for KDE.

That's easy -- siduction offers a KDE "flavor".

I also want to have Cinnamon Desktop installed on my 2nd computer and would prefer using the same base distribution.

I don't know anything about cinammon, but there it is in the debian unstable repo:

Code: [Select]
root@tosh205:/home/don# apt-cache policy cinnamon
cinnamon:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.7.4-2
  Version table:
     1.7.4-2 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages

Is there a base install of siduction without a desktop environment?

Yes, there is the nox  (no "X") flavor.  But how does this fit with having KDE?

Would the procedure to install another desktop be install a base system, install login manager, install Cinnamon?

Assuming cinnamon is a fully self-sufficient desktop environment, then yes your approach should work.  I personally haven't installed cinnamon so I can't say so with 100% confidence.  But if it is a new installation, I guess there's no risk to try it.  You can definitely start with nox and skip the gnome part of it.

What do you like about cinnamon -- what advantages do you see?  Maybe someone else (me) should give it a spin.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline vayu

• User
RE: Re: Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?
« Reply #2 on: 2013/05/11, 22:47:51 »
Thanks for the reply and the welcome.  KDE is my main environment.  I don't like Cinnamon (or anything) better.  I'm looking for a rolling KDE, which is why I'm here.  I also want to run Cinnamon on a second computer but I want the same base system so I get used to doing things the same.

For me nothing compares to KDE, but I want a GTK environment to use GIMP and Inkscape on purely for looks and also for variety.  I tried LMDE with Cinnamon and really liked several things.  Operationally it is simple yet direct and standard. Appearance-wise, I was able to set it up to look beautiful to me. I also liked that it's based on modern GTK.  Gnome I appreciate their direction but it's not for me.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2013/05/11, 23:17:10 »
You can install siduction-KDE, and then you can install gimp and inkscape. They will only pull in as much gtk dependencies as they require (which might be quite a few). That's what I do -- no problem.  In your KDE systemsettings, you can twiddle the decorations and icons so the gtk packages don't look bad.  I've been using the air-oxygen-color window decorations, with the air desktop theme for some time, and it's all good.

Also, you might want to install the gnome-icon-theme package, gtk2-engines, gtk2-engines-oxygen, and gtk2-engines-qtcurve and then twiddle those in your systemsettings, to complement your KDE theme.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2013/05/11, 23:31:56 »
Welcome onboard :-)

I don't know anything about cinnamon, butkde with gimp, inkscpae, iceweasel and other gtk stuff is no problem at all!

Offline ayla

• User
Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?
« Reply #5 on: 2013/05/12, 01:54:03 »
Hi,

welcome, too.

As you made me curious I tried to install cinnamon on nox.

All I get after login is an unresponsible plain blue background, no icons, no menu, no right or left klick works.

I could find a bugreport on ubuntu which recommends to install caribou to solve this, but with no success.

Installed packages on nox as base:

xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-video-intel xinit cinnamon lightdm (also tried gdm2 and gdm3) muffin caribou gnome-control-center gnome-session, all with dependencies...

So I guess either I'm missing something basically or the cinnamon package in sid does not work.

As I'm not used to gnome or it's descendants the first guess has my highest vote :)

Also I can agree with dibl and Lanzi: gimp works fine on kde. Don't know inkscape.

greets
ayla

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #6 on: 2013/05/12, 04:22:45 »
Installed just fine here in vbox

screenshot

http://home.roadrunner.com/~piper_1/images/cinnamon.png
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/05/12, 05:05:55 »
Did you start from nox?  I was going to try it from a nox install.  I wanted to see if I could get it without Gnome.

Last week I successfully got Cinnamon to work starting with Debian Testing with Gnome, I upgraded to unstable immediately, then a simple apt-get install cinnamon nemo (Debian unstable repository about a week ago).  It worked great (until I broke it experimenting).

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #8 on: 2013/05/12, 16:08:51 »
I have a siduction RazorQt VM, fully updated, and I installed cinnamon and nemo on it.  Using the lightdm login manager, I logged into a cinnamon2D desktop, and it seems to work as expected.  There's a problem with the screen size -- it comes up huge and it's not obvious whether it is a cinnamon or a vmware issue, but here's what I saw.

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2013/05/12, 16:51:49 »
Hi,

I installed cinnamon and nemo on it.

As I thought: I miss something basic. After installing nemo my desktop is no longer plain blue, insteed I now have icons showing my filesystem and right klicking brings up a menu.   :)

So I need to have a look were I get a control/menu bar from and ev'rything should work here also.

greets
ayla

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/05/12, 17:25:39 »
Did you start from nox?  I was going to try it from a nox install.  I wanted to see if I could get it without Gnome.

Last week I successfully got Cinnamon to work starting with Debian Testing with Gnome, I upgraded to unstable immediately, then a simple apt-get install cinnamon nemo (Debian unstable repository about a week ago).  It worked great (until I broke it experimenting).

No, kde
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline convbsd

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2013/05/12, 21:41:50 »
If i will have time I will do also some tests with cinnamon to see how it works.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2013/05/13, 03:23:01 »
From KDE. What happens when you share the same home with 2 different desktop environments?  I would actually like to do that if I didn't think it would somehow be messy.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #13 on: 2013/05/13, 07:48:39 »
You choose from your login manager (probably kdm in your case) what you want to use. They can share your home just fine.

greetz
devil

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2013/05/13, 16:32:42 »
From KDE. What happens when you share the same home with 2 different desktop environments?  I would actually like to do that if I didn't think it would somehow be messy.

I am one "of those people" that don't share home with anything. :)

However, I do share firefox & thunderbird

I like a very "clean" environment, I do back my home up once a week.