Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?  (Read 14237 times)

Offline bluelupo

• User
    • BluelupoMe
[EN] Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?
« Reply #30 on: 2013/05/28, 18:04:11 »
Hallo zusammen,
hier ist mein Paketliste eines funktionierenden Cinnamon-Desktop aufbauend auf eine Nox-Installation.

Ich habe folgende Pakete händisch nachinstalliert:

xserver-xorg
cinnamon
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-control-center
gnome-terminal
gdm3
nautilus
xauth
xinit

Die Runlevel sind allerdings noch nicht so wie bei einem Standard-siduction-Desktop, d.h. Runlevel 3 startet nicht in die Konsole sondern ebenfalls den Xserver.

Paketliste: http://paste.siduction.org/20130528160329

-----EN-----
Hi there,
here is my list of a package functioning Cinnamon desktop is based on a Nox installation.

I have reinstalled the following packages manually:

xserver-xorg
cinnamon
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-control-center
gnome-terminal
gdm3
nautilus
xauth
xinit

However, the runlevels are not yet as with a standard siduction desktop, ie Will not start in runlevel 3 console but also the Xserver.

Package list: http://paste.siduction.org/20130528160329

Offline michaa7

• User
Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?
« Reply #31 on: 2013/05/28, 23:04:00 »
Hi bluelupo

I'm glad you found the solution.

One question: How *light* is cinnamon?

In a range from lightweight to heavyweight, where would you sort cinnamon?

fluxbox/openbox - lxde - xfce4 - gnome2/3 - kde
(I am *not* claiming this range is really the correct order, but it represents my impression)
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

rolandx1

« Reply #32 on: 2013/05/28, 23:10:58 »
somewhere around xfce

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #33 on: 2013/05/29, 10:56:24 »
Quote from: "bluelupo"
However, the runlevels are not yet as with a standard siduction desktop, ie Will not start in runlevel 3 console but also the Xserver....
I found that noX configuration of runlevels differs from the +X flavours of siduction, meaning runlevel 3 is set to default and that lead to (in my case) lightdm after installation started in runlevel 3 also.

I am not sure if this is the right way to go, but I did the following: Editing /etc/inittab from
Code: [Select]
#The default runlevel.
id:3:initdefault:
to
id:5:initdefault:and in directory /etc/rc3.d
mv S19lightdm K19lightdm
update-rc.d lightdm defaults

Now system boots up in runlevel 3 (f) with X (lightdm, cinnamon) unless I enter a "3" at grub kernel-commandline.

Edit: ^^ of course I mean system boots default in runlevel 5, thx vayu.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #34 on: 2013/07/18, 03:06:09 »
Quote from: "der_bud"

Now system boots up in runlevel 3 with X (lightdm, cinnamon) unless I enter a "3" at grub kernel-commandline.

I've been wanting to get a siduction Cinnamon install that doesn't include Gnome.  I'm happy to see this progress.   I'm unclear about the runlevels.   What happens if you leave the runlevels the way nox sets them?  What does the change shown here do?   I thought runlevel 3 was the special level when we leave X to do dist-upgrade.  Why do you want to be in runlevel 3 for the DM?

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #35 on: 2013/07/18, 08:45:32 »
Thx vayu, I had a typo. You are totally right that runlevel 3 is in siduction the one without X and systems boot to runlevel 5 with X.

Besides noX, that one boots per default to runlevel 3, which is its purpose. When you now install some DM on top of noX (while being in 3), it then boots to RL3 with X, so my post was about how to change noX to behave like other siductions: take the DM out of RL3 and set RL2 as default.

And as that post above came from tests in a vm that no longer exists, I suppose I confused as well runlevels 2 and 5, 'cause in my siduction-KDE inittab says for default runlevel id:5:initdefault:  :wink:
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.