Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [SOLVED] nouveau unknown intr during boot  (Read 12609 times)

bmorency

[EN] [SOLVED] nouveau unknown intr during boot
« on: 2014/04/25, 04:13:42 »
Hi,

I just got a new system and I have have installed Siduction for the first time. It installed ok but on reboot I receive the following message.

Code: [Select]
nouveau e[pmc] [0:1:0.0] unknown intr 0x44000000
At the beginning of this message it will list a counter in seconds. It starts at 4 and this message will keep repeating very quickly. I let it go for a minute and  a half and it was still repeating before I reset my system.

My hardware is as follows:

Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
AMD fx-8320
geforce gtx 750 2GB.
8 GB of RAM.

One thing is to actually get the live cd to boot my system to install I had to add acpi=no as a grub parameter.

Has anyone seen this before? Any way to get around it?

Thank you.

Beau
« Last Edit: 2014/04/26, 05:27:58 by bmorency »

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Re: nouveau unknown intr during boot
« Reply #1 on: 2014/04/25, 11:11:11 »
Hello Beau,

your Geforce gtx 750 is from Nvidias newest series with Maxwell architecture and too new for nouveau.

You should be able to boot with Safe GFX Settings (the second menu entry in the boot menu). Theese parameters "nouveau.modeset=0 xmodule=vesa" will create a suitable xorg configuration for the xorg vesa driver.

After installing siduction you can proceed with the nvidia driver from debian unstable non-free repository. For future driver support also enable  "contrib non-free" for the siduction/fixes repo in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/siduction.list.

You must remove the "driver vesa" from your xorg.conf.
Also make sure that no modeset parameters are left over in your grub configuration in /etc/default/grub.

Code: [Select]
apt-get update && apt-get install nvidia-driverThis will install all needed packages, compile a module for your kernel and update your initrd and grub config.

You need to create a conf-file for your xorg to use the nvidia driver - please refer to the manual.

As last step: reboot to your new xorg config.

Feel free to start "siduction-irc" for additional support.

greetings
musca
« Last Edit: 2014/04/25, 11:23:47 by musca »
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

bmorency

Re: nouveau unknown intr during boot
« Reply #2 on: 2014/04/26, 05:27:40 »
Hello,

Thank you for your help. Your instructions got my system up and running with the nvidia drivers.

Beau