Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Canonical To Drop Support For Kubuntu - look at Mint!  (Read 2654 times)

Offline ralul

• User
[EN] Canonical To Drop Support For Kubuntu - look at Mint!
« on: 2012/02/07, 18:39:48 »
This was foreseeable: Ubuntu-Canonical wants to become some kind of locked in and business success organisation.

What is even more interesting for me:

Mint going the path to gnome but smooth, they depend on the last and best releases of gnome software. But Ubuntu has just stated: They will just use a more recent gtk toolkit but will stay behind at gnome-3.2 with all other parts. Seems to me there will be an ever bigger rift between Mint an Ubuntu.

At least Mint will decide to only go the debian way?

Clement Lefebvre has recognized that he
- doesnt want to be locked in
- can customize gnome easily, as
- gnome-shell is just one suggestion of a better gnome framework beyond.

But what does he want further doing with ubuntu that for? If CL sees these strategic issues as clearly as I do, he could become the biggest Gnome distributing point of sale in the world. Even hiring an extra Gnome maintainer would be feasable for him. If this all comes true we as siduction will have a lot more in common with Mint regarding Debian.

PS: Then, there will be some more options for siduction also?
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Canonical To Drop Support For Kubuntu - look at Mint!
« Reply #1 on: 2012/02/07, 19:48:59 »

PS: Then, there will be some more options for siduction also?

What could those options be?

greetz
devil

Offline ralul

• User
Canonical To Drop Support For Kubuntu - look at Mint!
« Reply #2 on: 2012/02/07, 20:18:40 »
Whole lot of a bunch of options:
First of all if there are a million more Debian user, some of them might want to be more of a frontrunner than Debian testing.
And there - as ever in opensource - is the opportunity to concurrently develop or working together.
Or, perhaps CL is eager to have a testing community for his new packages. Or we produce the better Kde Debian. Or siduction copies some of their business model.

.... lots of possibilities, but firstly there will be some decision making of all of this. This was just a first glimpse of konsequeces ...
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing