Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Adding New SSD  (Read 4026 times)

Offline finotti

• User
[EN] Adding New SSD
« on: 2018/07/13, 03:24:51 »
I feel a bit embarrassed of asking this, but: I bought a new SSD to add to my desktop.  (It will not replace anything, and it is not the system disk.)  My plan was to add the SDD, boot, edit the fstab file (using UUID), format it, and copy some files to it, which is what I think I've done in the past.
My reluctance is that, if I remember well, systemd does not boot if fstab is not properly set (if I remember well), so I would not be able to follow my plan, unless I'd do it in rescue mode.  Is that the case?  If so, how do I boot in rescue mode?
Also, I might have to change some of the SATA cables around, but since the fstab is set using UUID, it should not be a problem, correct?

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: Adding New SSD
« Reply #1 on: 2018/07/13, 11:43:21 »
The fstab file is there to do planned mounts of certain devices to certain mointpoints, be it 'sda1 shoud be /' or 'uuid=xxyyzz should be /home/user/garbage'. If there are wrong assignments, the boot might hang for a while.
If you put a new disk in your system and have no belonging fstab entry, that should do no harm. That disk will just not be mounted during startup, you can do anything what you want with it after boot. So, put it in, boot, partition/format it and then create fstab entries.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline finotti

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2018/07/13, 18:13:24 »
Thanks, der_bud, for the reply!  I will give it a try tomorrow, but seems like it should not be a problem, then.
Thanks!

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2018/07/13, 18:54:05 »
Are you aware of the fact, that, if you have a bunch of HDDs and an SDD, not putting the system on the SDD does not make much sense?

Offline finotti

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2018/07/13, 18:57:40 »
Are you aware of the fact, that, if you have a bunch of HDDs and an SDD, not putting the system on the SDD does not make much sense?
Yes. :-)  I already have an SSD with the system.  I just bought a new one when I stated to run out of space in home.  (I've been working with music recording, which takes a lot of space, but benefits from fast storage.)
Thanks for checking, though. :-)

Offline tommy2

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2018/07/14, 15:15:42 »
Why didn't you just move yor home directory to the new drive, , easier in the long run.  :)