Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] huge upgraded files  (Read 5365 times)

cana

[EN] huge upgraded files
« on: 2012/09/13, 20:12:29 »
I have used easy linux distros so far. It is first time for me unstable Debian. I know some basic commands or solutions for some difficulties. in fact siduction is difficult for me but I like to dealing with it. I installed siduction yesterday. Today i noticed 357mb files to update, when i stated command "apt-get upgrade"

479 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 213 kB/357 MB of archives.
After this operation, 42.4 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

it is very huge for newly installed distro...I'd like to know that;

* is it necessary to upgrade of 357MB files?
* the reson of huge files due to debian unstable (sid) brunch?

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: huge upgraded files
« Reply #1 on: 2012/09/13, 20:22:44 »
You are seeing all of the package updates from the date the Desperado ISO image was made, until yesterday -- several months of updates.  Normally, if you update once per week or more often, you will see only a few packages -- maybe a couple dozen at most.  Sometimes the updates actually reduce the amount of disk space used by the OS -- I saw that a couple days ago.

Yes, this is Debian Sid, where new software versions are frequently introduced, so you will see many more updates than you will in any distro based on Debian stable.

So just go ahead and accept this update, then you will need to reboot since there is a new kernel in the update, and then your system will be up to date.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline Geier0815

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2012/09/13, 20:58:19 »
Please don't use only upgrade! "apt-get dist-upgrade" is what you should do with debian unstable. "man apt-get" will tell you the different.
Wenn Windows die Lösung ist...
kann ich dann bitte das Problem zurück haben?

cana

« Reply #3 on: 2012/09/13, 21:33:38 »
Thanks for returns. There were 2 files couse to fail. mysql and php5 I think i should have rearranged their files but I can not manage it. Only one solution I can do the removing of them. After removed them from synaptic I have succesfully uptaded packages.

So should i reinstall Pphp5&mysql? are they necessary files for system?

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #4 on: 2012/09/13, 22:39:09 »
Code: [Select]
apt-get -f install would have fixed the errors,(mysql and php5) surprised that apache (assuming it's installed) didn't give one out also. (maybe you don't have it installed). I use all 3 for mythtv and it worked for me (apt-get -f install)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: RE: huge upgraded files
« Reply #5 on: 2012/09/13, 22:45:00 »
Quote from: "cana"
After removed them from synaptic ...

Ok, in addition to using "dist-upgrade" as mentioned, you really need to use the console, and do your dist-upgrades with X shut down, not with synaptic.  There is an explanation in the manual why we need to do it this way.  If you didn't break your X server today by upgrading with synaptic, you can burn some chicken feathers and say a chant to the little monkey-god.  But when the xserver packages are trying to be upgraded, and you are running in X, you can end up with a broken X server.  So Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in as root

init 3

apt-get update

and use the up-arrow to repeat if it fails to read all the package headers, and then when it completes the reading

apt-get dist-upgrade

and when the upgrade is finished

init 5 && exit to launch the X server again.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: Re: RE: huge upgraded files
« Reply #6 on: 2012/09/13, 22:47:02 »
I am glad I didn't post again dibl, you covered it ;)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

cana

« Reply #7 on: 2012/09/14, 11:10:36 »
Quote from: "dibl"
Ok, in addition to using "dist-upgrade" as mentioned, you really need to use the console, and do your dist-upgrades with X shut down, not with synaptic.

Yes master I'll use console from now on. :wink:

Quote from: "dibl"
If you didn't break your X server today by upgrading with synaptic ...

After upgrading I rebooted the PC and no any error occured. This is beginner's luck. :o

dibl, Shall I follow your instructions dispite this?

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #8 on: 2012/09/14, 14:20:04 »
Quote from: "cana"

dibl, Shall I follow your instructions dispite this?

:lol:

Here's the point -- it's not named "Unstable" for no reason. Using apt-get in the console, you will occasionally see warnings, and error messages, that will cause you to press "n" on the dist-upgrade question, and then check this forum to see if there is a problem. Look at the "Upgrade Warnings" forum, and check some of the old threads. If you are careful in this way, you can have a remarkably stable system for years, even though it is built with "Unstable".  But, if you don't pay attention to the warnings, and just take the "Y", then sooner or later there will be a bad result.

At this moment we are in a relatively quiet period because of the freeze for Debian Wheezy.  When it is released and new development packages begin to flow in to Sid, watch out!   :)

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #9 on: 2012/09/14, 18:03:31 »
dibl: Nobody should be forced to read the upgrade warnings. This gives a surprisingly steep learning curve for the user :twisted:
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2012/09/14, 18:19:59 »
Not necessarily. Many if not most *new* users will complain about *siduction* being a unreliable, really unstable POS. So it's still true, nobody should be forced, but kindly advised to read the upgrade warnings (as dibl did). Because there is not really a reason to believe in this steep learning curve going in the desired direction which you (agaida) had in mind.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #11 on: 2012/09/14, 20:07:07 »
@michaa7: You can preach to read the warnings. You can preach to make backups on a regular base. But many users will trust in there luck, esp. when in freeze and belive that sid isn't that dangerous as often said.

And after the freeze users have 3 choices to have fun with sid: a current backup, good knowledge to repair borked systems or reading the warnings and when in doubt, press'n' and ask before update. Sid plays mostly nice with me, my learning curve wasn't that high. But i came from arch with testing and unstable active. The steep learning curve to me was searching the right tools and learn about the philosophy of debian. That maybe makes a little difference to absolute new users. Mostly i use all of the described choices. :)
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline michaa7

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: huge upgraded files
« Reply #12 on: 2012/09/14, 20:22:24 »
Quote from: "agaida"
...users have 3 choices to have fun with sid: a current backup, good knowledge to repair borked systems or reading the warnings and when in doubt, press'n' and ask before update. ...

yes, and option tree being the less time consuming one

... Mostly i use all of the described choices. :)

hmm, but there are new users without any inclination for a *steep* learning curve. And to those we should kindly advise to believe us (and respect warnings by at least carefully reading them) because otherwise they *might get forced* to what they don't want, a steep learning curve.:wink:

As ever, the wise learn by others, the dumb by own experience.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: huge upgraded files
« Reply #13 on: 2012/09/14, 21:46:52 »
Even if a user is new and inexperienced, and he does not know what the warnings mean, it is still easy enough to check the "Upgrade Warnings" forum, before continuing a d-u. That is all I am advising OP to do.

Personally, I can only learn by doing -- I broke my first sidux system when the packaging of ia32libs went wrong, and I chose "Y" without checking.  :(