Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  4.8.11 on reboot, session chooser, no keyboard or mouse (SOLVED)  (Read 2877 times)

dcarrco

i moved to siduction from solydx a few months ago and like it a lot.  i have been keeping up with things and all seemed well... until yesterday.  i hadnt rebooted in a while (and maybe through a couple kernel updates) and all looks right until the screen switched to the session chooser and my keyboard and mouse are disappeared.  my keyboard shift light wont come on and mouse cursor disappears. 

i can boot into recovery mode but cant seem to find which thing is failing, or how to switch to a different session chooser.  i have tried unplugging all USB devices, switching mouse and keyboard, and today im just back in my old solydx installation so i can get work done.  any ideas what i could try?  if i boot into recovery and look at the journal it looks like all went fine.  and of course if i try to boot normally i have to hard reset my machine because all inputs are dead.

i tried 4.8.11, 4.8.12, and then back to 4.8.8 and 4.8.9.  same thing.
« Last Edit: 2016/12/08, 03:06:42 by dcarrco »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: 4.8.11 on reboot, session chooser, no keyboard or mouse
« Reply #1 on: 2016/12/07, 18:59:00 »
Have you tried a different mouse? What flavour of siduction are you using? Are you fully dist-upgrades as of today?

dcarrco

« Reply #2 on: 2016/12/07, 19:10:21 »
yes i have tried different mouse and keyboard, both USB and ps/2 style.  i am using 64 bit paintitblack xfce siduction.
i fully dist-upgraded a few days ago. 

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2016/12/07, 22:06:04 »
Post the output of

Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep xorg
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2016/12/07, 22:06:45 »
Since Xorg transitioned not long ago, which was accompanied by package removals, if you were not carefull, you might have lost some packages. What does
dpkg -l | grep xserver-xorg-input show?

dcarrco

« Reply #5 on: 2016/12/08, 00:21:23 »
@towo output of
dpkg -l | grep xorg is
ii  xorg-sgml-doctools                          1:1.11-1                          all          Common tools for building X.Org SGML documentation
rc  xserver-xorg                                1:7.7+17                          amd64        X.Org X server
ii  xserver-xorg-core                           2:1.19.0-2                        amd64        Xorg X server - core server
ii  xserver-xorg-legacy                         2:1.19.0-2                        amd64        setuid root Xorg server wrapper
rc  xserver-xorg-video-intel                    2:2.99.917+git20161105-1          amd64        X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver

and @devil out put of
dpkg -l | grep xserver-xorg-input

shows nothing.

dcarrco

the answer seemed sort of obvious so i went ahead and booted into recovery mode, installed xserver-xorg-input-all metapackage and im good to go.  im not sure when that package got removed but maybe i did it in one of those absent-minded autoremove commands.  anyway, thanks for heading me in the right direction.