Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Cloud storage  (Read 2625 times)

Offline titan

• User
Cloud storage
« on: 2018/04/17, 14:03:05 »
Any recommendations for a decent cloud storage provider preferably with a native linux gui or better still integration with a file manager. I did set up Own cloud on a pi but I don't think is that secure and tried for some time yesterday to get the latest version kio gdrive to work but it won't let me add add an account, I don't run KDE but do use Dolphin and Gwenview so it would have been useful for photo storage. pdrive looks OK but not too sure about gui or CLI version (uses boost). I have Dropbox and S3 accounts, S3 free year has now expired and  don't like the idea of Amazon billing monthly on my credit card, don't mind paying but not this way. Mega seems to get bad press. Something based in Europe would be preferable although any sensitive data would be encrypted before uploading.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Cloud storage
« Reply #1 on: 2018/04/17, 15:07:10 »
Nextcloud is your best bet. Based in Germany, they today announced winning a tender from the Government.
https://www.pro-linux.de/news/1/25809/bundesverwaltung-setzt-auf-nextcloud.html

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2018/04/17, 16:00:26 »
Thanks Devil, Nextcloud is fine but I was looking for a cloud provider. I have looked in the past at Nextcloud hosting but I think dedicated provider would be better for me.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2018/04/17, 16:11:07 »
There are a lot of Nextcloud providers certainly a lot more than when I last looked a couple of years ago ( it was mostly Owncloud then) but which one, they all seem to provide the same services and a lot based in Europe, difficult to know from their websites just how good they are thats why I was asking for recommendations if there are any.

thanks

Ian

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2018/04/18, 06:52:57 »
Sorry, everyone I know hosts their Nextcloud by themselves, including me. Where would you like your provider to be based?  A colleague of mine works for Nextcloud, I could probably ask him. He would know of good providers in and around Germany. How big is the installation that you plan?

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2018/04/18, 10:53:36 »
Thanks devil, I agree my own server would be best,  I did set up Owncloud and xmpp on a pi it all worked fine but it failed when I was away just when I needed a document so online would be better. I do not need a lot of space 15GB should be plenty. I want the provider in EU and was looking at some providers on Nextcloud site this provider looks OK https://portknox.net/de  it would be good to get some feedback that they are reliable.

thanks for your help

Ian

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #6 on: 2018/04/18, 18:17:37 »
You realize this would be a subdomain, not your domain?  If that is ok, it sounds like a sound offer. I will ask though.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2018/04/18, 21:48:00 »
Their multiuser offer allows using your own domain and they set up Lets Encrypt cert but another €40 not really worth it for just my use. If there is no negative feedback I think I will give them a try.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #8 on: 2018/04/19, 18:09:34 »
My guy at Nextcloud says, PortKnox is a very good choice. The guy that runs it  works with them a lot and is active in the community. So thumbs up. Seems like the right adress to give your money to.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2018/04/19, 18:40:23 »
Thanks for your help devil, much appreciated  :)