Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Can't log in after dist-upgrade  (Read 3607 times)

Offline juanra

• User
[EN] Can't log in after dist-upgrade
« on: 2018/07/31, 21:55:50 »
Hi
I'm new to the forum. I've been using siduction for some time, and although I don't know much about computers,  I have always been able to find solutions to any (not big) problem searching the forum or the internet. But not this time. I installed siduction (kde 2018.03) recently in a new machine and configured things to my likes, and after that, yesterday, I dist-upgrade as I had always done. Everything looked fine, but when I got to the usual log-in screen, I am able to write user and password but nothing happens after enter. Mouse works, and shutdown/reboot/suspend buttons also work, the start session button does nothing either.
I've seen (too late) some info about D-U and problems with login, but I'm not sure if it is related. I will really appreciate any info about why this is happening and/or how to fix it.
Thanks a lot in advance

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
Re: Can't log in after dist-upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 2018/07/31, 22:13:46 »
first try to login as root in tty -> ctrl+alt+f1
and run apt again.

you also can test if startx work for the $user

please report what happened than.

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=7279.0
or you use fish as $SHELL
https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/1059
https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=7269.msg59055#msg59055
« Last Edit: 2018/07/31, 22:25:22 by hendrikL »

Offline juanra

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2018/07/31, 23:34:53 »
Thanks, and sorry I didn't mention before, I can log in as root and user in command line, and I just tried a last D-U before posting my problem. After logging as user in tty1 tried startx and ends with error and X server shut down. I copy the last lines from the Xorg.1.log file, where error is mentioned. Should I send any other part of the file, just let me know. If I then go to Alt+F7, same login screen which does not work.
I have to displays connected, and I have also tried to boot with only one of them, and then only the other, as I red somewhere. In both cases, the same result.

Offline juanra

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2018/07/31, 23:39:08 »
The lines form the log:

Code: [Select]
[  5712.229] (II) AIGLX: Resuming AIGLX clients after VT switch
[  5712.230] (EE) modeset(0): failed to set mode: Permission denied
[  5712.230] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[  5712.230] (EE) EnterVT failed for screen 0
[  5712.230] (EE)
[  5712.230] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
     at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[  5712.230] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/home/juanra/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.1.log" for additional information.
[  5712.230] (EE)
[  5712.230] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
[  5729.677] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
« Last Edit: 2018/08/01, 17:22:19 by piper »

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #4 on: 2018/08/01, 12:20:12 »
please provide us the output of

inxi -SGIxxc0
and the whole log and please use the code tags around like
[code] paste [/c...]**[/code]
« Last Edit: 2018/08/01, 12:26:17 by hendrikL »

Offline juanra

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2018/08/01, 13:11:12 »
Thanks for the answer

System:    Host: nox-sidu Kernel: 4.17.11-towo.1-siduction-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0
           Console: tty 1 dm: sddm Distro: siduction 18.3.0 Patience - kde - (201805132121)
           base: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:3e92
           Display: server: X.org 1.20.0 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa tty: 160x64
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display
Info:      Processes: 160 Uptime: 4m Memory: 15.52 GiB used: 274.7 MiB (1.7%) Init: systemd v: 239 runlevel: 5
           Compilers: gcc: 8.2.0 alt: 7/8 Shell: bash v: 4.4.23 running in: tty 1 inxi: 3.0.18
I attach the complete log, as it exceeds the maximum numbers of characters for posting
I hope I used correctly the code tags you mentioned, please, tell me if not

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #6 on: 2018/08/02, 11:57:57 »
next step i would test is to create a new user and login and see what happen.

Does a dist-upgrade/full-upgrade know works?
Did you try apt -f install?
What does echo $PATH telling you?
What was/is the error message that apt gives to you?

I have not a bit of a clue what happened to your system!
Only thing i see is, that you build up a plasma desktop on top of a nox installation.

If nothing work and you want to avoid to reinstall everything, come to the IRC, maybe you get help there but be patient,most people are working and answers can be delayed, try in the evening CET, thats the best time to get live support there.

Offline juanra

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2018/08/02, 13:13:14 »
Hi hendrikL, thaks a lot for your time and interest.
I'm not at home now so I can not test your steps until the evening. But I already had created a new user and tried it, with the same result.
And it is not a system built on top of siduction noX, it was installed from siduction kde last iso (as of may) The "nox" you see is just the name I gave to the machine because it is the brand of the case, the letters I see when I press the switch on. Only a silly coincidence!
I will probably reinstall next weekend, and if I can log in normally, do the d-u and see if the problem repeats. I will post whatever happens
Thanks again

Offline juanra

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2018/08/02, 21:19:23 »
Hi. At home now for a moment
I have just done apt-get dist-upgrade and everything worked, no errors mentioned, new kernel installed and shown in grub screen. Log in screen acts the same, nothing happens after hitting enter.
Tried then apt -f install:
rootm@nox-sidu:/home/juanra# apt -f install
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias 
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Los paquetes indicados a continuación se instalaron de forma automática y ya no son necesarios.
  linux-headers-4.16.8-towo.1-siduction-amd64 linux-image-4.16.8-towo.1-siduction-amd64
Utilice «apt autoremove» para eliminarlos.
0 actualizados, 0 nuevos se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.
root@nox-sidu:/home/juanra#

Then switched to user and looked for $PATH:
juanra@nox-sidu: ~$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

Little as I know, I can't see anything that looks strange. I don't know in which direction to keep on searching for the problem.  I will post results after D-U in the weekend. Thanks

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #9 on: 2018/08/02, 22:11:19 »
Okay one last question.

login as root on tty, then stop sddm via
systemctl isolate multi-user.target (that is something like the old init3)
after that try to login as root via "startx".
Does it work?

[  5712.230] (EE) modeset(0): failed to set mode: Permission denied

that is strange, i think that could be the reason why .....

« Last Edit: 2018/08/02, 22:19:52 by hendrikL »

Offline juanra

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2018/08/06, 18:30:08 »
Hi hendrikL
I tried startx as root but all I got was the root prompt with a different font and totally unresponsive, so that I had to switch to another tty to reboot
I googled a bit for the "permission denied" but couldn't find anything  that seemed clearly related; not even made it clear for me if it could be a problem of sddm or X configuration. At least. I found a tip about deleting the related files in my user .cache folder (I have a separate partition for home) before reinstalling.
I reinstalled, and dist-upgraded, and everything is working now. I'm afraid I'll never know what the problem was (I hope it won't show up again!)
Thanks a lot for your time and help, it's nice to see that there is people in the forum trying to help the others with their knowledge.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2018/08/09, 13:24:06 »
You did the right thing. Sometimes, specially with new installs, it is better to start over and to forgo finding out what went wrong. Have fun with siduction.