Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  UEFI install  (Read 5910 times)

Offline titan

• User
UEFI install
« on: 2018/05/01, 09:59:32 »
Well time has come for my first UEFI install. I can't see anything about UEFI in the manual and a search of the forum not much help. Also looking on the net there seems a lot of conflicting advice. From what I have read it seems secure boot needs to be turned off in BIOS then a GPT partition created after that looks like siduction installer should work OK. Any advice welcome. This will be a clean install on new hardware Linux only.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: UEFI install
« Reply #2 on: 2018/05/01, 15:05:59 »
UEFI is easy with calamares - one of the main reasons to jump on that wagon.

The important points are:
* secure boot has to be off
* it is recommended to use GPT with UEFI

Thats nearly all for to begin with - i would recommend to make one or two UEFI installations in Virtualbox or KVM to get more familar with - and i also would like to recommend to have the installation as basic as possible. Esp. i would not choose the advanced (manual) installation for first timers.                                                                               
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2018/05/01, 16:19:49 »
Thanks for the pointers. I had seen Easygoin post but it is a bit out of date now. A couple of questions, do I now just create the image on a usb as per the manual and calamares does the rest.What size would be recommended for the EFI partition, also separate root and home. Arch suggests EFI 250MB, Root 35GB and the rest as home but I have seen several other wildly varying alternative suggestions.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2018/05/01, 16:29:54 »
I really don't want to start a flame war about partitioning drives - right now i let calamares do the partitioning and be done with - and i'm not a very friend of /home partitions - imho they are useless and utter crap. I like the approach of data partitions more - and linking these things into $HOME - esp. nice for more than one installation per machine.

And i wrote several times about - i would never ever partition all of a drive - it comes quite handy to have some unpartitioned space left on a device if one need some space (test installations etc)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #5 on: 2018/05/01, 17:04:47 »
Quote from: melmarker
and i'm not a very friend of /home partitions - imho they are useless and utter crap

+1
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2018/05/01, 17:28:52 »
Thanks, I have never had a separate home either, are you saying calamares will just allocate ( default)  space for EFI. This is a clean install so I can have a few tries if necessary. I was just going to get a mobo and cpu but decided to build a complete pc so no rush but I wanted some idea what to expect before I start.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2018/05/01, 18:58:51 »
The really cool thing about calamares is that it does the very most things for simple installations right out of the box - and it is damn fast. So if you are planning a new machine it could be worth the time to play a little bit with it 8)

Should be no waste of time, a normal installation on real hardware should be done within 2 mins - reboot into the installation included.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2018/05/03, 17:36:55 »
Thing are not going well, I have installed an Asus B350M-E mobo and the latest  Ryzen 5 2400G CPU with integrated graphics and it would not boot, I was told when I bought it it had the latest BIOS firmware but clearly had not so 150mile round trip this morning to get it sorted.I have rebuilt the PC and accessed the UEFI bios turned off secure boot and set USB as first device. The initial Siduction screen loads fine, and starting to load the live OS stops at sound card and some time later tries  and fails load another screen. I have tried some of the modeset options and it runs through to a loginprompt and a little later attempts another screen but fails. any suggestions welcome.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #9 on: 2018/05/03, 20:48:51 »
Did you do a dist-upgrade to the live session before you started the installation? Since you are speaking of latest Ryzen, it might be helpful to install latest kernel 4.17.0-rc3-siduction-amd64 on the live image before installing. As that is still experimental, you will have to expand your extra.list with the line
Code: [Select]
deb http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/siduction/extra experimental main You can exchange the mirror in that line with the one closest to you. Install kernel and headers and start the installation. Please report how that comes out.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #10 on: 2018/05/03, 22:10:58 »
Of course that is not gonna work. I misinterpreted the word 'installed' in your fist sentence.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2018/05/04, 10:23:38 »
I think it is that either Raven graphics or Ryzen 2 may not be supported with live iso. I read they work OK with latest kernels and drivers . I did try a separate graphics card but didn't get any further. The problem is that with new hardware it could be other problems. I have tried another usb stick but just the same. The graphics are fine for the intial siduction screens. Run out of ideas for the moment.

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #12 on: 2018/05/04, 11:54:37 »
Try booting the live with 'nomodeset amdgpu.blacklist=1' as bootcheat.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2018/05/04, 12:32:39 »
This bootcheat takes me to $ prompt. I had got this far with other bootcheat but what to do next ?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #14 on: 2018/05/04, 14:00:56 »
The probably best solution for you is to visit our IRC and ask for a current build with a current kernel - maybe it helps, there are a lot of changes for ryzen in the kernel iirc.