Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Siduction live disk won't open on this Lenovo box  (Read 4343 times)

grady

[EN] Siduction live disk won't open on this Lenovo box
« on: 2013/03/10, 04:11:59 »
A friend has asked me to install Siduction on his Lenovo box.
It's a 2006 3000J 115 Type 7387. CPU: AMD.
Came with a single SATA 300gB hdd, on which WinXP is running (apparently) without fault, on this box.
Friend only wants to run siduction; but since I had a spare ½ tB SATA  hdd, I thought I'd just move the connections to my hdd and leave the WinXP hdd parked.

Siduction (latest) live disks, proven by other use, are refusing to open; either 32 or 64-bit versions.
Latest aptosid 64-bit appears to open, but displays only quatsch.

BUT: latest aptosid 32-bit opens just fine!

The failures are two: garbled video or a message saying roughly: “1” thru “6” respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes. No more runlevels left to try.”

The BIOS had never been updated. Yesterday in Windows I followed the online update process- I thought successfully. But BIOS says I'm still stuck with the old version.
BIOS is very abbreviated (read: poor); perhaps try to replace it with the mobo manufacturer's BIOS?

Or replace the mobo with one that supports the decent cpu?

I've switched both monitors and their cabling; no improvement.

Any ideas, please?

Offline DeepDayze

• User
RE: Siduction live disk won
« Reply #1 on: 2013/03/10, 17:32:24 »
Possible bad image can cause this, can you check the md5sum?

Offline convbsd

• User
RE: Siduction live disk won
« Reply #2 on: 2013/03/10, 21:06:50 »
I have a laptop that doesn't boot aptosid, siduction from CD/DVD but it worked from a usb stick.
Try to prepare with dd a bootable usb stick as in siduction manual.

grady

Siduction live disk won't open on this Lenovo box
« Reply #3 on: 2013/03/11, 02:58:02 »
@DeepDayze:
Thank you for replying.
I'm still burning using k3b; always careful to verify MD5.
I've just burned another copy of siduction-12.2.0-ridersonthestorm-kde-amd64-201212092131.iso
And I was extra careful: verify MD5, DAO-8x speed.
Booted, the dvd appears to have run up; but displays only garbage.

On doing a check sum on the burned disk: I found no way to get k3b to cough that up. I'd be grateful for advice on how to accomplish that.

Since the only live disk that will open and display properly is a (latest aptosid) 32-bit, this question:
The cpu being 64-bit, does it need instruction from BIOS, or perhaps a switch on the mobo, to operate @ 32-bit?
I'm thinking that 32-bit may be set (in BIOS or mobo), explaining why the only live disk that will boot is a 32-bit.

@convbsd:
Thank you for replying. I don't do usb-sticks ... yet. But soon, I think: using one to flash this Lenovo BIOS.
I'll file your helpful suggestion, just for now, with thanks.

grady

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2013/03/11, 11:20:43 »
grady:
IIRC the MD5 code is displayed in the k3b window when you load up the iso file from wherever you stored it.

Offline dieres

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/03/11, 12:17:45 »
Did even the first bootsreen dont`t show up? Where you choose the language with F2 ? If it comes up to this you should try the safe settings for the graphics adapter.
I suppose you are  missing the firmware-linux-nonfree.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #6 on: 2013/03/11, 17:07:48 »
Is this the machine ?

Lenovo  3000J 115 Type 7387

This is showing a 160.0 GB drive (ATA-300 Serial ATA ) with only 512.0 MB of ram with 64.0 MB of that shared with the integrated GeForce 6100

"...BUT: latest aptosid 32-bit opens just fine!..."

would like to see the output of
Code: [Select]
infobash v3 of that machine to see if it has more ram, harddrive space, etc than the link shows, because 400+mb of ram *might* be a problem, I don't own anything like that anymore to test
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: 2013/03/11, 20:50:00 »
Quote from: "piper"

infobash v3

Unless it is a cross-graded from aptosid system (like mine), that will have to be

inxi -v3    :D
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #8 on: 2013/03/12, 03:51:09 »
Quote from: "dibl"

infobash v3

Unless it is a cross-graded from aptosid system (like mine), that will have to be

inxi -v3    :D

LOL, true but, I took it as the aptosid 32 bit cd that he/she said worked

On second thought, maybe my english is getting worse than my german ...
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

grady

« Reply #9 on: 2013/03/12, 07:30:05 »
Helpful friends:

I've thrown in the towel.

I've never before seen in one box such a rich collection of bad attitude and twisted thinking.
The cpu is an AMD x2-3800 (64-bit)

@piper:
Yessir. This is the machine:
Lenovo 3000J 115 Type 7387. Has a 300 GB drive (S-ATA ). Came with only 512.0 MB of ram; I replaced it with carefully chosen 2x2-GB, three of which the WinXP recognizes.
"64.0 MB of that shared with the integrated GeForce 6100" I can't confirm; I don't doubt.
The PS is rated @ 280W. Not enough to run an add-on video card, many say
"...BUT: latest aptosid 32-bit opens just fine!..."  Yep. Confirmed. I'll see if it will open now.
Confirmed; it opened all the way.
A b e r ... the horizontal adjust is off on the screen. I can't see how to adjust it to start a console. However, fwiw, "run command" works; I was able to open kwrite.
But I can't get to a console to do "infobash v3"

Repeating myself: I've thrown in the towel. Wednesday I go shopping for all new parts.

I thank you all for your interest and concern. But this rig doesn't warrant our time. I apologize for asking.
I have a minor surgical procedure c/w anaesthesia in 9 hours. So you'll please excuse me.
However, on Wednesday I'll try to answer any questions/suggestion from anyone who just enjoys solving puzzles.

Il est Minuit. Bonsoir.

grady

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #10 on: 2013/03/12, 13:12:14 »

On second thought, maybe my english is getting worse than my german ...

No, you were correct piper -- I got confused with the German side where "siduction" becomes "aptosid" with the google translator.

@grady, 280W is really weak, but the basic computer specs seem pretty solid.  And the GeForce 6100 should work OK with the nouveau driver, or even the Nvidia blob if you want. But I don't understand why a 64-bit live CD won't boot and run -- that doesn't make much sense.

Since you can use Alt-F2 to run a command, you can get a terminal with Alt-F2 "konsole".

You will probably have to figure out the horizontal position adjustment on your monitor to resolve that issue.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

grady

« Reply #11 on: 2013/03/22, 05:09:58 »
Kind friends:

Eight days later, my only excuse: I've been running in lots of directions at the same time.
I've bought all new components. And tried to save my friend $30 reusing his case. Got all installed, except ... the last thing was to connect the old case leads to the new mobo. And they wouldn't (without installing new terminations).
So I bought a new case and started over. My friend has taken the increased cost well.
I think that at this point I'll thank you all for your kindness and close.
I have a question or two to ask about the new installation, which I'll pose as a new topic.

grady