Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] "shutdown -h now" powers off and reboots (also KDE  (Read 11779 times)

farinet

[EN] Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: shutdown -h now powers off and then rebo
« Reply #15 on: 2013/08/13, 00:00:20 »
Quote from: "michaa7"
Sudo is not configured with siduction (=here on my computer).

So the only thing you can assume about your systerm is: It's borked. Because if it wasn't you but smxi or some crunchbang-wheezy-thingy to configure it who now knows what's going on on your system?

You're right. Obviously, i changed that on my own; looked on the date, when the sudoers file was changed or created (i think since i was used to by crunchbang). Sorry for the confusion.

But, just a practical question. How would you in a default siduction setup execute commands like 'sudo service tor restart' or thatlike?

PS. I do not remember anymore, but during the installation of razorqt-firestarter from the live-dvd are you asked for a separate root password?

farinet

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: shutdown -h now powers off and then rebo
« Reply #16 on: 2013/08/13, 00:05:20 »
Quote from: "piper"
su is the default in siduction, since you use smxi, I stop support right here, maybe someone else can help

I used smxi to have an install of fglrx on an old HP-Pavilion which didn't pass thru well with the legacy driver from the debian repositories (but that did not work; smxi told me, that the graphic card is too old :-( )

Offline dieres

• User
"shutdown -h now" powers off and reboots (also KDE
« Reply #17 on: 2013/08/13, 09:08:45 »
if you don't use sudo, just become root with su and than execute the command without sudo in front of it.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #18 on: 2013/08/13, 13:25:10 »
Quote from: "farinet"
...i changed that on my own; looked on the date, when the sudoers file was changed or created (i think since i was used to by crunchbang). Sorry for the confusion.
PS. I do not remember anymore, but during the installation of razorqt-firestarter from the live-dvd are you asked for a separate root password?

Sure you were asked for a root password at installation time. How else did you configure sudo *without* a root password? How can this be possible? If you discovered a way to do so we all can throw away our installations seen from a security perspective.

But, just a practical question. How would you in a default siduction setup execute commands like 'sudo service tor restart' or thatlike?

dieres did answer that. You become root.

But really, didn't you know how to become root? Given your other threads which give the impression of an somewhat skilled user I can't believe what you write here.

But at least this lesson should be clear now: Your system is unsupportable.

You should delete your system and reinstall by following the given instructions. Beforehand buy a stone in which you carve: "I never configure sudo again".
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

farinet

« Reply #19 on: 2013/08/13, 17:50:26 »
Oh no . . . :(

If, i think, i hope, there should be a way to reset the system back to siuction like without deleting it, isn't it? But for sure, coming from years with (l)ubuntu sudo is somewhat subcutaneous. ;)

PS. The reasons given here are not valid?

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #20 on: 2013/08/13, 18:26:50 »

If, i think, i hope, there should be a way to reset the system back to siduction like without deleting it, isn't it?

Sure -- the only thing that is needed is the list of every change made to the default configuration of your system.     :roll:

You can lose a lot of time chasing mysteries on a system of unknown configuration -- it's your computer, maybe you can back out enough, and replace enough, to get it working normally.  The problem is, you can never really be certain.  Then the next time something unexpected happens, you are doomed to wonder about the non-standard bits that you thought you fixed.

A reinstallation of the OS, on a machine with a separate partition for /home, takes only a few minutes, plus some updating and configuration time. For sure you can have everything that you have now in a couple of hours, and no future questions about mystery breakages.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2013/08/13, 18:43:35 »

PS. The reasons given here are not valid?

In theory yes, in practice NO.

Can't you still *see* what amount off effort it took for *you* to recall the history of your configuration (not to mention the confusion for the reader)? This is just an example how sudo obfuscates things where a bright (over-) view is required.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

farinet

« Reply #22 on: 2013/08/13, 20:58:37 »
May i reply in the same way? In theory yes, in practice no ... If i'd be systematical probably i'd keep track of all what i do but . . . ;) Frankly, do you? E.g., generally, i've an idea what i did tweaking the powermanagement settings, but step by step i would be unable to track all (and that does not regard absolutely the general problem sudo/no sudo).

A practical question in my fluxbox menu i defined some shortcuts like:

Shutdown:
Code: [Select]
qterminal --execute "sudo halt"
Which aks me the pswd and then shuts down the system.

What would be the equivalent without sudo? Is there a way to concatenate the root call with the execution of halt in *ONE* line so that fluxbox would understand it?

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #23 on: 2013/08/13, 22:34:54 »
en:

There is no way to shutdown without sudo, but you may shutdown using the powerbutton instead. To be able to do so you first need to install acpid. You can configure the power botton for different events (like shutdown, reboot ...). I did it with the help of the user of an other (german) forum (link down here in the german part). If someone needs it translated please ask.

de:

Ich wollte in der sudo diskussion schon darauf zu sprechen kommen, weil shutdown unter fluxbox als user (ohne sudo) ja nicht geht sondern man nur über den umweg des jeweiligen loginmanagers herunterfahren kann. Ich war damals versucht mich doch mit sudo zu befassen, fand aber gott sei dank eine andere lösung (die dir möglichweise nicht behagt). Dennoch fahre ich seit dem den rechner mit dem power knopf herunter. Dazu muß du acpid installieren und konfigurieren (der knopf ist so sogar für unterschiedliche ereignisse konfigurierbar).

Wie das geht kannst du hier nachlesen, das gibt dir auch gleich einen eindruck der mir nachgesagten fähigkeiten ;-):
http://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120542&p=768041
definitiv hilfreich sind die antworten von rendegast

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #24 on: 2013/08/13, 23:37:09 »
If i'd be systematical probably i'd keep track of all what i do but . . . ;) Frankly, do you?

No, of course not.

So, to avoid destruction, I do not enable any third party repositories, except the debian mmo repo occasionally, and I never install downloaded tarball stuff (except vmware which I really need).

With smxi installed, and we don't know what else, your system configuration is "contaminated" -- it has changes made that no one can be certain about, and therefore no one can offer to support or fix it.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

farinet

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: shutdown -h now powers off and then
« Reply #25 on: 2013/08/14, 01:30:38 »
I did not install the liquorix repositories, only the script, mainly to install - without success finally - the catalyst driver ...

farinet

« Reply #26 on: 2013/08/14, 01:36:29 »
en:

There is no way to shutdown without sudo [. . .]

Not even as root?

Wie das geht kannst du hier nachlesen, das gibt dir auch gleich einen eindruck der mir nachgesagten fähigkeiten ;-): http://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120542&p=768041
definitiv hilfreich sind die antworten von rendegast

Thanks for the link. I should look closer to the acpi scripts anyway, may be i'll find something there to solve the powermanagement problems i've (not anymore on the HP running razorqt but on a samsung running crunchbang pointing to sid). But: What the hell is the mc method? ;)

Cheers.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #27 on: 2013/08/14, 03:44:20 »
en:

There is no way to shutdown without sudo [. . .]

Not even as root?

As root you can, sure.

...What the hell is the mc method? ;)

type "mc" in your terminal and see ;-)

In this context it refers to proposed possibilities on how to unpack some packages.  On commandline it is comfy to use mc as it allows for browsing the content of *.deb archives and extracting single files, IIRC.

farinet

« Reply #28 on: 2013/08/14, 07:11:07 »
Then, i presume, the above quoted fluxbox shortcut to shut down from within the flubox environment should be:
Code: [Select]
gksu "qterminal -e halt"
(Or is 'halt' siduction coherencewise not acceptable too by some reason?)

And oh, i see, mc, that's the linux version of Norton Commander ... :D

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #29 on: 2013/08/14, 12:16:03 »
I absolutely have not the slightes clue whether or not this fluxbox shortcut is working. But if so, let us know.
BTW, I don't know "qterminal", do you know "konsole"?

And yes, mc is a must have ;-) .