Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Remind  (Read 5820 times)

mylo

[EN] Remind
« on: 2012/01/06, 02:32:45 »
Aptosid is now, after my migration, another history.

And at least 85% of the contributors (covering 99% of the nice guys) are still under way here. WOW!

I wish siduction and its drivers all the best!

Offline DeepDayze

• User
RE: Remind
« Reply #1 on: 2012/01/06, 02:54:41 »
I can see there's an exodus from aptosid starting to pick up steam as many aptosiders are now switching to siduction!

for too long aptosid's potential has been sapped due to poor decisions made by certain people...thus siduction was born

tlmiller

Re: RE: Remind
« Reply #2 on: 2012/01/06, 03:46:26 »
Quote from: "DeepDayze"
I can see there's an exodus from aptosid starting to pick up steam as many aptosiders are now switching to siduction!

for too long aptosid's potential has been sapped due to poor decisions made by certain people...thus siduction was born

How true.  However, some good things came from those bad decisions.  Such as I learned Arch because I had to find a new distro to like.  :D

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2012/01/06, 04:01:12 »
Quote from: "tlmiller"

How true.  However, some good things came from those bad decisions.  Such as I learned Arch because I had to find a new distro to like.  :D

I got to like ArchBang..a fast Arch-based distro that's 100% compatible with Arch. I am setting up Arch as a 2nd distro on my system as Arch and Debian are the best of the Linux world

tlmiller

« Reply #4 on: 2012/01/06, 04:18:53 »
Quote from: "tlmiller"

I got to like ArchBang..a fast Arch-based distro that's 100% compatible with Arch. I am setting up Arch as a 2nd distro on my system as Arch and Debian are the best of the Linux world

Agreed.  I am very much a fan of Debian and Arch as my favorite 2 distros.  I like that siduction saves a lot of time in setting up Debian though, since it already comes with a lot of the stuff that I use (since I was a long-time fan of sidux and kanotix before that).

Offline DeepDayze

• User
RE: Re: RE: Remind
« Reply #5 on: 2012/01/06, 04:27:43 »
I discovered Kanotix back in early 2005 and liked what I saw so installed Kanotix 2005-3 and stuck ever since with Debian thru Kanotix>sidux> aptosid now siduction after ditching Fedora.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2012/01/06, 05:52:29 »
While I'll most likely switch almost all my boxes to siduction, I'll probably keep one Fedora install.  I like watching the evolution of technologies like Nouveau, systemd and PulseAudio, and, because Red Hat employees many of the folks working on those projects, I get to see the advancements there first.
I will be using Fedora with KDE though.  I can't deal with their Gnome 3 default desktop, and I'm not the only one.  Many of their longtime forum members are running different distros now, although their most active forum member is now porting Mint's Cinnamon so it can be available in Fedora.
Meh, I'm glad I'm back on KDE.  Although LXDE look interesting also (That is, siduction's LXDE).
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2012/01/06, 11:18:16 »
Surely I have to introduce myself to arch. All what you tell guys! But being a gentoo user also I barely believe there is a more customizable distribution ...
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

hinto

« Reply #8 on: 2012/01/06, 15:44:16 »
@DeepDayze... so that begs the question....
Is there anyone that dist-upgraded from Kanotix to sidux to aptosid to siduction, without a re-install?
-H

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: Remind
« Reply #9 on: 2012/01/06, 15:48:40 »
Quote from: "hinto"
@DeepDayze... so that begs the question....
Is there anyone that dist-upgraded from Kanotix to sidux to aptosid to siduction, without a re-install?
-H

I'm sure people can simply do a "crossgrade" but it isn't really supported though.

Hoowever I remember there were instructions for crossgrading from kanotix->sidux as well as sidux->aptosid

Offline michaa7

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: Remind
« Reply #10 on: 2012/01/06, 16:04:38 »
aptosid --> siduction possible, but not recommended, and as times goes by chances of afterwards having problems may increase:

http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?msg=14091#14091
« Last Edit: 2013/11/10, 05:33:02 by ayla »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

hinto

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Remind
« Reply #11 on: 2012/01/06, 16:12:11 »
This was more of a rhetorical question aimed at the value of a Rolling Release.
-H

Offline Geier0815

• User
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Remind
« Reply #12 on: 2012/01/06, 20:42:50 »
I've started with a "bughunter" from kanotix, go to sidux and after this aptosid was without a new install on my maschine. I couldn't remember for what reason I had to make a new installation in aptosid, must be something like HDD-crash. Half a year ago I've made another new installation for changing from 32bit to 64bit. And with this, I hope, I'll made a new record for my self. 5 years to beat!
Wenn Windows die Lösung ist...
kann ich dann bitte das Problem zurück haben?

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Remind
« Reply #13 on: 2012/01/06, 23:18:52 »
Quote from: "Geier0815"
I've started with a "bughunter" from kanotix, go to sidux and after this aptosid was without a new install on my maschine. I couldn't remember for what reason I had to make a new installation in aptosid, must be something like HDD-crash. Half a year ago I've made another new installation for changing from 32bit to 64bit. And with this, I hope, I'll made a new record for my self. 5 years to beat!

I think at some point once the multiarch stuff gets quite solid you should be able to sort of "upgrade" from 32 bit to 64 bit arch directly (mostly replacing the 32bit packages with 64 bit ones)

going directly from one distro to another does carry risks as others mentioned though

Offline ralul

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Remind
« Reply #14 on: 2012/01/07, 00:38:55 »
why risky:
use aptitude, deactivate all but the go-away repo, mark all of that for removal, activate target repos, aptitude -u, revalue target packages, go, go
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing