Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] no permission as user to mount USB stick or Change wifi settings  (Read 3850 times)

Crust

After a dist-upgrade, I no longer have permission to mount a USB memory drive anymore.  I can mount as root through the console.  Let me know what I have to do to be able to mount USB drives as a user again.

Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: 2014/08/31, 01:51:52 by musca »

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: Do not have permission as user to mount USB stick anymore
« Reply #1 on: 2014/08/27, 09:40:29 »
We have seen similar issues earlier due to problems with  policykit-1  and/or  polkit-kde-1 , perhaps some of theme were removed or not updated during d-u?
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Crust

« Reply #2 on: 2014/08/27, 10:06:30 »
I forgot to mention, but I had the kdenext repo activiated.  How would I debug and find out whether it's due to policykit-1 and/or polkit-kde-1?

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #3 on: 2014/08/27, 12:07:48 »
Hello Crust,
we need some details ...

Question UtilityWhich release of siduction do you use?cat /etc/siduction-versionWhich version of policykit-1 is installed?dpkg -l | grep 'pol.*kit'Are you member of the group plugdev?groupsAre there weird entries in fstab?cat /etc/fstabDo weird mountpoints block the /media/?ls -l /media/

greetings
musca
« Last Edit: 2014/08/27, 12:27:18 by musca »
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/08/27, 13:44:42 »
How would I debug and find out whether it's due to policykit-1 and/or polkit-kde-1?
That's easy, the question is just whether they are installed or not  :). So if an

Code: [Select]
apt-get update && apt get install --reinstall policykit-1 polkit-kde-1
solves your issues, you are done. If not, further investigation needed, see ^^ musca.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Crust

« Reply #5 on: 2014/08/27, 18:57:12 »
Thank you both.

I did have policykit-1 and polkit-kde-1 installed.  I did reinstall them with no effect.

Here is more info:

Siduction Version: I used the first version of Siduction when it came out.  For some reason, I don't have an /etc/siduction-version file

Version of policykit-1

dpkg -l|grep 'pol.*kit'
ii  libpolkit-agent-1-0:amd64                 0.105-6.1                          amd64        PolicyKit Authentication Agent API
ii  libpolkit-backend-1-0:amd64               0.105-6.1                          amd64        PolicyKit backend API
ii  libpolkit-gobject-1-0:amd64               0.105-6.1                          amd64        PolicyKit Authorization API
ii  libpolkit-qt-1-1                          0.103.0-1                          amd64        PolicyKit-qt-1 library
ii  policykit-1                               0.105-6.1                          amd64        framework for managing administrative policies and privileges
ii  policykit-1-gnome                         0.105-2                            amd64        GNOME authentication agent for PolicyKit-1
ii  polkit-kde-1                              0.99.1-1                           amd64        KDE dialogs for PolicyKit

The user is a member of the group plugdev

There are no weird entries in fstab

There are no weird mountpoints in /media

Crust

I edited the main post title as it seems to be a permission thing.  I can no longer change wifi settings anymore as well as an error pops up saying "Not authorized to control networking".

I believe this is because the system thinks the session is not active.

When I use the liginctl command, it shows the session as inactive:

loginctl show-session 1
Id=1
Timestamp=Wed 2014-08-27 10:17:26 PDT
TimestampMonotonic=11467433
VTNr=7
Display=:0
Remote=no
Service=kdm
Scope=session-1.scope
Leader=2721
Audit=1
Type=x11
Class=user
Active=no
State=online
IdleHint=no
IdleSinceHint=0
IdleSinceHintMonotonic=0

on the other hand, when I use ck-list-sessions, it shows the session as active.

Session1:
        unix-user = '1000'
        seat = 'Seat1'
        session-type = ''
        active = TRUE
        x11-display = ':0'
        x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'
        display-device = ''
        remote-host-name = ''
        is-local = TRUE
        on-since = '2014-08-27T17:17:26.819118Z'

butcher

Instead of KDM, try Lightdm.

Crust

butcher,

Thank you very much.  This did work.  If you don't mind, can you explain why this solves the problem?

Offline der_bud

• User
Switching to lightdm from kdm can solve problems because siduction-settings and several debian packages regarding login, user-rights, security and so on focus more on lightdm than kdm.

Kdm seems to be kind of abandoned, and with the december-release siduction switched to lightdm as default for the time being. To shed some light, have a look for example at this post from melmaker (http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4834.msg39940#msg39940) . There are some more similar posts in this forum, this one is a short summary.

Crust

Thank you very much for the explanation.