BUGS > 2014.1

login screen not present in systemsettings

<< < (2/2)

spacepenguin:
For the next KDE SC generation there will be SDDM which also comes with a configuration module for systemsettings, so lightdm-kde isn't needed anymore, at least not for newer KDE SC releases: http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/display_managers_finale

melmarker:
False - sddm is not a part of KDE, it is a independent project. And we will use sddm as login manager if and when sddm is mature enough. That is not the case now. Maybe in a year or two. Hmm, maybe i should cite myself from freenode/lxde:

--- Quote ---[2014/12/05 02:19] <agaida> <rant>Could we consider that sddm is only useful for native english speakers who need less then normal functionality - heck, a two or three line bash script would do the job better</rant>
[2014/12/05 02:20] <agaida> maybe even a konsole login and startx
[2014/12/05 02:22] <agaida> and to the topic: Tried SDDM. Switch back to LightDM, next look into sddm in a year or so

--- End quote ---
And that was a constructive rant, i don't wrote utter bullshit and totally useless - that was the state a year ago. So i think in the last year sddm has evolved much and will evolve but is still in no way a reliable replacement for LightDM.

There are still points to fix: sddm cant handle languages at login (cool, if one use umlauts or such things in a pass - or use a german keyboard layout and have z/y in pass - i don't want to imagine the situation in other languages. There are some stability issues, no support for login/logout scripts and so on - i do not mention the lack of ldap support because this is nearly irrelevant for the normal siduction use case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version