Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] webdav davfs help  (Read 1320 times)

dlalias2k1

[EN] webdav davfs help
« on: 2014/01/13, 08:58:02 »
So, I think I might have goofed. This happened over weeks, so my info may not be exact.

Before christmas, I signed up for a unlimited backup account. It is accessible via WEBDAV for Linux.
I mounted the folder as /mnt/MyCloudData via davfs. Copied some files, worked well.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I'd get fancy and use EncFS to add an encrypted subfolder to the webdav mounted folder so I'd have encrypted webdav file storage. I followed the instructions at:
http://www.howtogeek.com/121737/how-to-encrypt-cloud-storage-on-linux-and-windows-with-encfs/

I copied some files over successfully and cheered to myself.

A week ago, I decided I'd share the encrypted folder and the public folder out to my network via samba.

Today I decided I'd go back and start organizing files and such.. I noticed that "mount" didn't show any webdav. I did "ls" on the folder and saw the public folder and the encrypted folder but not other folders. I figured davfs either crashed, disconnected or my system rebooted.

I absentmindedly said "alright, I'll just mount /mnt/MyCloudData since I have it defined in fstab"...  After I did that, I was able to see the encrypted folder and the public folder still for a few minutes... then boom, they were gone and only my webdav folders remained. I lamely hoped that the mount command would sync folders and not overwrite them when using davfs.

So my questions are:
1:) Can I recover my Public and Encrypted folder that disappeared? ( I use BTRFS for my FS if it makes a difference).
2:) How can I prevent that kind of synch failure next time? Either by:
 Making sure webdav is mounted?
OR
 Synching any offline writes to the webdav drive?

Thanks for any help you can give!