Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  As of today update CANNOT start the desktop  (Read 2139 times)

gericom

As of today update CANNOT start the desktop
« on: 2015/09/18, 22:35:40 »
 This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb".
Available plugins are linuxfb, minimal, Wayland...

It is impossible to start the desktop, even sddm.
« Last Edit: 2015/09/18, 22:52:30 by gericom »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: As of today update CANNOT start the desktop
« Reply #1 on: 2015/09/19, 07:25:35 »
You are probably missing libx11-xcb1.

greetz
devil

gericom

« Reply #2 on: 2015/09/19, 08:05:11 »
Nope, it is installed. Sometimes I am using kde-experimental repos. But libx11-xcb1 is installed. I have updated some qt5 libs last night and everything went broken.
« Last Edit: 2015/09/19, 08:25:22 by gericom »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2015/09/19, 09:27:26 »
you have two easy choices:
 * reinstall
 * rollback/downgrade

the third choice is also easy - reinstall, congratulations, you messed up qt and kde badly.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

gericom

« Reply #4 on: 2015/09/19, 09:35:30 »
Thanks, I will try that tonight, when I am back and will report.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2015/09/19, 10:01:16 »
dont mix Qt/KDE sid with experimental - it will break, thats intentional
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

gericom

« Reply #6 on: 2015/09/19, 12:51:36 »
Ya, I know that, but sometimes I am getting stupid  ;D so can you tell me which are the siduction experimental repos, which are not intended to be used from normal user.
Thanks a lot.

Offline horo

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2015/09/19, 13:35:14 »
Quote from: gericom
...Sometimes I am using kde-experimental repos...
...so can you tell me which are the siduction experimental repos, which are not intended to be used from normal user.

probably the entries in your sources.list.d files with "experimental" in the name that _YOU_ added.

Don't forget what your good book said (not to say RTFM): http://sidu-manual/sys-admin-apt

Ciao, Martin
« Last Edit: 2015/09/19, 13:38:30 by horo »
omnia vincit pecunia :(

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #8 on: 2015/09/19, 14:29:54 »
@gericom - rule of thumb - don't take Qt and Qt based packages from experimental - it must break. I have a sample from a packages maintained by myself:

sid: https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=liblxqt&suite=sid

experimental: https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=liblxqt&suite=experimental
Code: [Select]
Dependency installability problem for liblxqt on ppc64:

liblxqt build-depends on:
- ppc64:libqt5xdg-dev
ppc64:libqt5xdg-dev depends on:
- ppc64:libqt5xdg1 (= 1.2.0+20150807-1)
ppc64:libqt5xdg1 depends on missing:
- ppc64:qtbase-abi-5-4-2
Because of Qt 5.5 in experimental wich will break the ABI (and the virtual dependency). In other, warmer words: snafu 8)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #9 on: 2015/09/19, 14:35:56 »
erm - and the discussion about kdenext you will find in another very popular thread - i say nothing pro/against kdenext - but recommend that one should stay far away from kdenext/experimental, the name is program and this repo is for development only - so it will indeed kill kittens and other lovely pets.