Siduction Forum > Free Speech

Differences between Siduction and Debian Sid?

<< < (2/2)

computerworm01001:
Hi again Devil,

Thank you for all your help. Yes, I am aware that Siduction officially uses systemd. However, packages for runit (https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=runit&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all) and elogind (https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=elogind) are available in the Debian Sid repo, so I'll set those up first thing after installing the OS. And if I break anything by doing that, I will take full responsibility. I will figure out how to make it work by myself, or failing that, just go back to using Artix. I love Artix, but the big (albeit only) sticking point for me is that the official repos are very small compared to Debian's, and I've needed to install several packages from the AUR. The AUR makes me nervous because of it's very lightly regulated nature. I always read the PKGBUILD scripts, but I'm not an expert in bash, so while I have learned what a normal script looks like, I'm afraid I wouldn't recognize a malicious script if I encountered it. And then I'm afraid that if I did contract malware from the AUR, I wouldn't recognize the behavior of malware, and thus would never know I was infected. And yes, I know that sounds awfully paranoid, but there have been so many cyberattack reports on the news over the past few months . . .

Basically the reason I'm interested in Siduction is that it seems I can get all the features I get from Artix without having to use random scripts written by random people.

Also, I took a look at those scripts on the Siduction GitHub, and they look cool, and the other research I've done (including this forum post) are encouraging, so I think I'll give Siduction a go. Thank you again for all your help. :)

P.S. One last question - you say that you all do fix stuff when you can, but that you are "limited by manpower in doing so". Can you please tell me how many developers are currently active on the Siduction project?

tranquil:
Siduction is easier to install than Debian Sid/Unstable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version