Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] TuxMachines Noticed  (Read 6468 times)

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
[EN] TuxMachines Noticed
« on: 2021/02/24, 06:30:40 »
Guess I'm not the only one who still looks at DistroWatch 

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/147682#comment-28392     

And it comes with a 2 videos!!!   

« Last Edit: 2021/02/24, 07:00:36 by GoinEasy9 »
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: TuxMachines Noticed
« Reply #1 on: 2021/02/24, 19:45:39 »
Ha ha -- "died three years ago" -- he obviously never checked this forum! There are many signs of life here!   ;D
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2021/02/24, 22:04:08 »
I watched that DistroTube video. He says some things which are incorrect, most glaringly "Digikam is a webcam program"!
I breezed through several other of his videos too. He seems to have done very little research on some, particularly distros that are not Arch. More clickbait than fact and I posted a comment on one where he claims Mozilla are against a free internet where the blog post he based it on is just decrying the proliferation of lies and misinformation. I expect to get flamed for that as most of the other commenters say they are boycotting Mozilla on his say-so. It's pretty crazy as the only practical way to abandon Mozilla is to go with a Google-based browser - out of the frying pan and into the fire!  ??? ::)

DistroTube is now on my do-not-watch list.

Offline paxmark2

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2021/02/27, 15:10:28 »
His mention of a hope for return of #! (CruncBang)  seemed about a decade old also.   #! was a one man show.   Absolutely delightful on an EEE901 but those days are gone and it has a successor in BunsenLabs for stable with Openbox with a #! flavour.     

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2021/05/04, 09:50:23 »
sunrat said "It's pretty crazy as the only practical way to abandon Mozilla is to go with a Google-based browser - out of the frying pan and into the fire! "

Have a look at Brave, yes based on Chromium but some interesting features and privacy focused, they are also developing their own search engine, developed by ex Firefox CEO. I have used Firefox almost since it came out but have been using Brave for a couple of months and can't see me going back.

https://brave.com/

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2021/05/04, 14:35:23 »
Mozilla bashing is fashionable these days. Just ignore it.

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2021/05/04, 15:20:54 »
Mozilla bashing is fashionable these days. Just ignore it.
I prefer Brave bashing. Not open-source and they have a very strange business model. Even if it was the best browser (it's not imo) I wouldn't use it because of their ethics. They allow you to block ads and then can insert their own for "Brave rewards".

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2021/05/04, 18:51:11 »
Fair enough use which browser you prefer but just get the right information to base your decisions on. Brave is as open source as Firefox see here even Mozilla says . I also think you have misunderstood their business model it seems as open and more ethical than others. All the features can be enabled or not as you wish.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/browsers/compare/brave/

« Last Edit: 2021/05/04, 18:54:26 by titan »

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2021/05/05, 01:07:15 »
OK apologies about the open-source bit, I must have been confusing it with some other Chromium-based browser. I still think their replacing of the content creators' ads is sleazy.
A major concern of mine is that with the rapid rise of Chrome and it's offspring there will come a day when there is no choice but to use them. Google has far too much power and influence already.

Offline vinzv

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #9 on: 2021/06/20, 23:13:05 »
I prefer Brave bashing. Not open-source and they have a very strange business model. Even if it was the best browser (it's not imo) I wouldn't use it because of their ethics. They allow you to block ads and then can insert their own for "Brave rewards".
For anyone interested in more details on that, here's quite a good read: https://ebin.city/~werwolf/posts/brave-is-shit/

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2021/06/21, 11:21:26 »
A bit of an unsubstantiated rant but to be fair at  the start of the article he says  "I’ve received a ton of responses on Reddit (I didn’t post it, but it got quite viral). And I’ve been proved wrong on some statements"  which unfortunately seems to sum up the quality of his research.

I am happy using Brave , I use the nightly and am now part of the trial (invite only) for their search engine, all seems good at the moment.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/brave-browser-search