Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Can't install siduction 13.2 ati hd radeon 4200  (Read 4498 times)

Offline mhbell

• User
[EN] Can't install siduction 13.2 ati hd radeon 4200
« on: 2014/01/06, 18:35:03 »
I am new to siduction so hope I can explain this correctly. I boot up using the live dvd. it boots to the Screen and the print is so big I can't read anything to install. I know about "firmware-linux-nonfree", but don't know what to do without the siduction being installed. is there a line I can add when booting the dvd so that I can get a usable screen to install from. any help appreciated
tia
Mel

Problem is now solved using the CLI Installer
Mel

« Last Edit: 2014/01/12, 22:09:52 by mhbell »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Can't install siduction 13.2 ati hd radeon 4200
« Reply #1 on: 2014/01/06, 18:38:43 »
Where is the big print? Are you stuck in a terminal, or does it boot to the desktop environment (which one?) and that is where the big font appears?

Did you try to boot with the second choice when starting the DVD (Save GFX Mode)?

greetz
devil

Offline mhbell

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/01/06, 19:02:33 »
The big print is after I get to the live desktop after booting with a live dvd. The print is so large that it is off the screen. I have a 26 inch monitor. The live desktop looks almost normal but when I click on a icon everything is to big to be readable. Yes I have tried the 2nd option and the kernel safe mode. During boot up there is a message saying that I need "firmware-linux-nonfree" but there is no way to get it before the os is installed. is there a way I could install using the cli? maybe then I could get the firmware that I need to make the desktop readable.
Mel

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/01/06, 19:55:03 »
You can install the package while using the live-dvd. You need to add non-free to the sources.list.d/debian.list. Then do
Code: [Select]
apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree. If you install right then, the firmware will be in your installation too. You could also try cli-installer, which might be usable in your situation. You could also try to set dpi according to your screen size with the xrandr command.

greetz
devil

Offline mhbell

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/01/06, 21:12:43 »
The problem is when I try to access the terminal from the live desktop this is when I also get the large print so big that everything is unreadable. I cannot access anything from the live desktop that is readable. booting from the dvd how do I access the cli to install a file or install the os ? Is there a code  or command that can be added when booting that would enable me to get into the cli instead of the live desktop?
Mel

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2014/01/07, 00:19:14 »
Can you do Ctrl-Alt-F1 from the Live desktop and get a tty console?
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/01/07, 00:21:14 »
You hit e when booting up. This lets you edit the kernel line. You add a 3 there and hit ctl-x to go on booting.

Offline mhbell

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/01/07, 01:35:13 »
Can you do Ctrl-Alt-F1 from the Live desktop and get a tty console?
When the DVD gets to the desktop I can do a Ctrl-Alt-F1 and get to a login prompt. It asks for a login name and a password which I don't know. Remember I am trying to install siduction from a bootable live DVD. The problem is when I get to the live  Desktop everything except the icons get so big as to be unreadable. If I click on a Icon the screen goes nuts and everything is unreadable. The normal resolution for my screen with other linux distro's is 1280 x 768 with "firmware-linux-nonfree" installed. How can I install that if I can't even start the install from the DVD? What is the login and password when I get to the prompt using Ctrl-Alt-F1I will try the E and then init 3 while booting but if it asks for a login and password I don't know what they are. does anyone know??
Mel

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #8 on: 2014/01/07, 02:12:20 »
The answer is in the release notes: user:siducer, password: live. after logging in, su will give you root rights to install firmware-linux-nonfree.

greetz
devil

Offline mhbell

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/01/07, 02:43:50 »
The answer is in the release notes: user:siducer, password: live. after logging in, su will give you root rights to install firmware-linux-nonfree.

greetz
devil
Thank You Very Much. This is the info I needed. I was looking for it in the manual which is different. Maybe now I can get somewhere. If not I will be back.
Mel

Offline mhbell

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2014/01/08, 02:53:45 »

greetz
devil
Hello Devil
Well I am back. Here is the problem and what I have done so far. The problem is the desktop (live dvd) I boot with the live dvd and when it reaches the desktop everything gets really huge unreadable and part is off the screen. The icons at the bottom are normal size but when I click on one the screen goes bonkers. everything it to big to be readable. Here is what I have tried so far.

1. I installed iso remaster and did the following in another distro. downloaded the deb pkg "firmware-linux-nonfree" and installed it in the siduction iso /lib/firmware. when I boot the live DVD I still get the same thing (everything is to large on the desktop screen and unreadable to try and install siduction).  I know that it is the ATI Radeon HD4200 video card. I even changed monitors.[/size]2. I can boot the Live DVD and use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a consol (terminal) that is readable su and then go to the sources list and add a contrib nonfree repo and then do a apt-get update, apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree and everything works up to that point. But how do I get out of that screen consol (terminal and back to the desktop with out rebooting? If I reboot then I lose everything.It is to bad that they did not furnish a link in december that would let you install the firmware while booting up. firestarter at least lets me install and then when the kernel is updated at least I can apt-get the firmware. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.Sign me disgusted. Mel [/color]

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2014/01/08, 06:34:15 »
ALT-F7 brings you back after installing firmware-linuix-nonfree

greetz
devil

Offline mhbell

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2014/01/08, 06:57:50 »