Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] LXQt, Qterminal, lxqt-sudo  (Read 2344 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
[EN] LXQt, Qterminal, lxqt-sudo
« on: 2017/06/05, 22:18:06 »
I put an Intel SSD into an old Dell Inspiron N5110, installed Patience LXQt on it, and have everything but one item working as expected.  I installed lxqt-sudo and I observed that it is linked to both "lxsu" and "lxsudo".  So, using Alt-F2 "lxsu" I can start pcmanfm-qt or juffed with root privileges and it works great.  But qterminal is different.  Alt-F2 "lxsu qterminal" fails silently.  Investigating, I was surprised to find that Alt-F2 "qterminal" actually opens qterminal with root privileges (the # prompt).  Clicking on the dock icon for Qterminal opens it as a user with a $ prompt.

Obviously the laptop is fully usable with this configuration, but I decided to report it in case it is a bug, or a user error.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 2017/06/05, 22:40:57 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: LXQt, Qterminal, lxqt-sudo
« Reply #1 on: 2017/06/06, 01:19:37 »
it's no bug, it's only the history functionality of the runner :) - and lxsu qterminal should just work. There might be some bug in it where our developers are not exactly sure about inherited (or inheriting ) environment variables. The trick is: If you type `lxsu qterminal` next time you type qterminal in the runner this will be the first item in runner history (the blue one) - if one hit enter the runner will use the marked entry.

Edit: one can change this behaviour in the runners settings (the tree horizontal bars) - the hook in 'show history first'
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2017/06/06, 01:45:39 »
@dibl: that was a really nice one - i filed two bugs:
* Add a Setting for disable the history completely
* Make the shown lines in pulldown configurable

Thanks.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2017/06/07, 02:05:11 »

Quote from: melmarker
@dibl: that was a really nice one - i filed two bugs:

Alf, it is ever my pleasure to make such massive contributions to siduction.

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2017/06/07, 19:55:30 »
Not only to siduction - to LXQt at all - worldwide, all distributions will contain the changes you requested :D
> https://github.com/lxde/lxqt-runner/pull/58
> https://github.com/lxde/lxqt-runner/pull/59

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2017/06/07, 21:13:18 »
Well, that is impressive, and thank you Alf for supporting LXQt.  The more I use it on these older laptops, the better I like it.  Fast and light, but with all needed features for common users like me.