Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] "mdadm: no arrays found" && now "Failed: failed to start load kernel modules"  (Read 5406 times)

este.el.paz

Gents:
Things have more or less been "OK" in Siduction since my last post, but now a couple of problems have cropped up in "Bulls eye" . . . one doesn't seem to be problematic beyond taking time, but this morning I tried to log into Siduction and the GUI failed to load . . . it stops at the TTY prompt.

I logged into the tty and I ran "apt update && apt upgrade" and it installed a few packages, 27? and a new kernel; I rebooted and selected Siduction from Grub and we scrolled through the dmesg, which first shows an error of "mdadm: no arrays found in config or ?? automatically??" which then it announces that it is "tired" of running that error and drops into the regular dmesg list.

A couple weeks ago I ran some code that I found in a Debian forum showing how to repair this "mdadm" error, but it didn't seem to fix it.  Today on the second boot attempt for Siduction it showed two "Failed" errors for "Failed to start Load Kernel Modules" and then a bit down it showed another one, "Failed to start Nvidia Persistent xxxxx" . . . and then a bit later it showed a "Dependency" error . . . of course all of these things are moving fast up until it loads the log in prompt for the tty.

The system has the Nvidia repos and in running the update/upgrade no errors showed up . . . any thoughts or prayers on this one?? It does seema bit "labor intensive" to keep Siduction in tidy order; I have a rolling Gecko install that tells me the "gpg keys are very wrong" for the install as I believe I didn't update it for a month a few weeks back, but it still boots up and gets me into a GUI . . . .  Siduction seems to be "blocking" me from doing that, can't log into the GUI environment, only command line.

e.e.p.PS: 3 "return" key strokes were provided between each paragraph, for those who care about spacing & formatting of posts, etc.

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
lspci egrep -i "vga|3d|display"
dpkg -l | grep nvidia
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

este.el.paz

lspci egrep -i "vga|3d|display"
dpkg -l | grep nvidia
Thanks for the fast reply, is that going to give me some data to look at?  Or is that going to repair something?  Because, my problem is that I am now in Lu Eoan for my GUI, but if I reboot into Siduction and run those commands, if it gives me a long list of data I won't be able to "copy/paste" it out of the console . . . I would have to take a picture, or hand copy it, etc.  If it will be only a few lines then no problem to hand copy and write it out.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Quote from: este.el.paz
The system has the Nvidia repos ...

What does this mean, exactly?
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Quote from: este.el.paz
is that going to give me some data to look at?

Just a few lines.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
If your not using software raid you can purge

Code: [Select]
apt purge mdadm
Please don't use

apt update && apt upgrade in siduction or debian sid (siduction is based on debian sid)

Instead use

apt update; apt full-upgrade (or dist-upgrade)
Please post the outputs of what towo asked

Nvidia repos  ?????
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

este.el.paz

Gents:
Thanks for the replies, I'll run those commands in a few minutes and post back when I get back into a GUI.  Thanks for the data on the "&&" and "upgrade" . . . I usually do run "full-upgrade" as per your advice here previously, but I "spaced" it when I found the tty, rather than the Plasma GUI . . . and defaulted to my ubuntu based training . . . .

Offline piper

• User
My output of  (I corrected this from towo's post ..  lspci egrep -i "vga|3d|display")

lspci | egrep -i "vga|3d|display"
looks like

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)
dpkg -l | grep nvidia
looks like

ii  glx-alternative-nvidia                        1.0.0                               amd64        allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  libegl-nvidia0:amd64                          430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary EGL library
ii  libegl-nvidia0:i386                           430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary EGL library
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx:amd64                 430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (GLVND variant)
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx:i386                  430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (GLVND variant)
ii  libgles-nvidia1:amd64                         430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 1.x library
ii  libgles-nvidia1:i386                          430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 1.x library
ii  libgles-nvidia2:amd64                         430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 2.x library
ii  libgles-nvidia2:i386                          430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 2.x library
ii  libglx-nvidia0:amd64                          430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary GLX library
ii  libglx-nvidia0:i386                           430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary GLX library
ii  libnvidia-cbl:amd64                           430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary Vulkan ray tracing (cbl) library
ii  libnvidia-cfg1:amd64                          430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library
ii  libnvidia-eglcore:amd64                       430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary EGL core libraries
ii  libnvidia-eglcore:i386                        430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary EGL core libraries
ii  libnvidia-fatbinaryloader:amd64               418.74-1                            amd64        NVIDIA FAT binary loader
ii  libnvidia-glcore:amd64                        430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX core libraries
ii  libnvidia-glcore:i386                         430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX core libraries
ii  libnvidia-glvkspirv:amd64                     430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary Vulkan Spir-V compiler library
ii  libnvidia-glvkspirv:i386                      430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary Vulkan Spir-V compiler library
ii  libnvidia-ml1:amd64                           430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) runtime library
ii  libnvidia-ptxjitcompiler1:amd64               418.74-1                            amd64        NVIDIA PTX JIT Compiler
ii  libnvidia-rtcore:amd64                        430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary Vulkan ray tracing (rtcore) library
ii  nvidia-alternative                            430.34-1                            amd64        allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  nvidia-driver                                 430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA metapackage
ii  nvidia-driver-bin                             430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA driver support binaries
ii  nvidia-driver-libs:amd64                      430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES libraries)
ii  nvidia-driver-libs:i386                       430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES libraries)
ii  nvidia-driver-libs-i386:i386                  418.74-1                            i386         NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES 32-bit libraries)
ii  nvidia-egl-common                             418.74-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary EGL driver - common files
ii  nvidia-egl-icd:amd64                          430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA EGL installable client driver (ICD)
ii  nvidia-egl-icd:i386                           430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA EGL installable client driver (ICD)
ii  nvidia-installer-cleanup                      20151021+9                          amd64        cleanup after driver installation with the nvidia-installer
ii  nvidia-kernel-common                          20151021+9                          amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
ii  nvidia-kernel-dkms                            430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source
ii  nvidia-kernel-support                         430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
ii  nvidia-legacy-check                           418.74-1                            amd64        check for NVIDIA GPUs requiring a legacy driver
ii  nvidia-modprobe                               418.56-1                            amd64        utility to load NVIDIA kernel modules and create device nodes
ii  nvidia-persistenced                           418.56-1                            amd64        daemon to maintain persistent software state in the NVIDIA driver
ii  nvidia-settings                               418.74-1                            amd64        tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ii  nvidia-smi                                    430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA System Management Interface
ii  nvidia-support                                20151021+9                          amd64        NVIDIA binary graphics driver support files
ii  nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64                     430.34-1                            amd64        Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix - NVIDIA driver
ii  nvidia-vulkan-common                          418.74-1                            amd64        NVIDIA Vulkan driver - common files
ii  nvidia-vulkan-icd:amd64                       430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA Vulkan installable client driver (ICD)
ii  nvidia-vulkan-icd:i386                        430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA Vulkan installable client driver (ICD)
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia                     430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

Your problem is most likely the nvidia repos you are using, please post those also or post

inxi -r
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

este.el.paz

My output of  (I corrected this from towo's post ..  lspci egrep -i "vga|3d|display")

lspci | egrep -i "vga|3d|display"
looks like

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)
dpkg -l | grep nvidia
looks like

ii  glx-alternative-nvidia                        1.0.0                               amd64        allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  libegl-nvidia0:amd64                          430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary EGL library
ii  libegl-nvidia0:i386                           430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary EGL library
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx:amd64                 430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (GLVND variant)
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx:i386                  430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (GLVND variant)
ii  libgles-nvidia1:amd64                         430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 1.x library
ii  libgles-nvidia1:i386                          430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 1.x library
ii  libgles-nvidia2:amd64                         430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 2.x library
ii  libgles-nvidia2:i386                          430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 2.x library
ii  libglx-nvidia0:amd64                          430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary GLX library
ii  libglx-nvidia0:i386                           430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary GLX library
ii  libnvidia-cbl:amd64                           430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary Vulkan ray tracing (cbl) library
ii  libnvidia-cfg1:amd64                          430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library
ii  libnvidia-eglcore:amd64                       430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary EGL core libraries
ii  libnvidia-eglcore:i386                        430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary EGL core libraries
ii  libnvidia-fatbinaryloader:amd64               418.74-1                            amd64        NVIDIA FAT binary loader
ii  libnvidia-glcore:amd64                        430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX core libraries
ii  libnvidia-glcore:i386                         430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX core libraries
ii  libnvidia-glvkspirv:amd64                     430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary Vulkan Spir-V compiler library
ii  libnvidia-glvkspirv:i386                      430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA binary Vulkan Spir-V compiler library
ii  libnvidia-ml1:amd64                           430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) runtime library
ii  libnvidia-ptxjitcompiler1:amd64               418.74-1                            amd64        NVIDIA PTX JIT Compiler
ii  libnvidia-rtcore:amd64                        430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary Vulkan ray tracing (rtcore) library
ii  nvidia-alternative                            430.34-1                            amd64        allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  nvidia-driver                                 430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA metapackage
ii  nvidia-driver-bin                             430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA driver support binaries
ii  nvidia-driver-libs:amd64                      430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES libraries)
ii  nvidia-driver-libs:i386                       430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES libraries)
ii  nvidia-driver-libs-i386:i386                  418.74-1                            i386         NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES 32-bit libraries)
ii  nvidia-egl-common                             418.74-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary EGL driver - common files
ii  nvidia-egl-icd:amd64                          430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA EGL installable client driver (ICD)
ii  nvidia-egl-icd:i386                           430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA EGL installable client driver (ICD)
ii  nvidia-installer-cleanup                      20151021+9                          amd64        cleanup after driver installation with the nvidia-installer
ii  nvidia-kernel-common                          20151021+9                          amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
ii  nvidia-kernel-dkms                            430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source
ii  nvidia-kernel-support                         430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
ii  nvidia-legacy-check                           418.74-1                            amd64        check for NVIDIA GPUs requiring a legacy driver
ii  nvidia-modprobe                               418.56-1                            amd64        utility to load NVIDIA kernel modules and create device nodes
ii  nvidia-persistenced                           418.56-1                            amd64        daemon to maintain persistent software state in the NVIDIA driver
ii  nvidia-settings                               418.74-1                            amd64        tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ii  nvidia-smi                                    430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA System Management Interface
ii  nvidia-support                                20151021+9                          amd64        NVIDIA binary graphics driver support files
ii  nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64                     430.34-1                            amd64        Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix - NVIDIA driver
ii  nvidia-vulkan-common                          418.74-1                            amd64        NVIDIA Vulkan driver - common files
ii  nvidia-vulkan-icd:amd64                       430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA Vulkan installable client driver (ICD)
ii  nvidia-vulkan-icd:i386                        430.34-1                            i386         NVIDIA Vulkan installable client driver (ICD)
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia                     430.34-1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

Your problem is most likely the nvidia repos you are using, please post those also or post

inxi -r

OK, thanks for the corrected commands, the ones I ran gave me a bunch of "man" type pages, but I ran it several ways and it showed essentially what you have posted here, except my "version" numbers are "418.74 -1" . . . but it was about "34" line items showing "nvidia" . . . in variation.  I'll run the "inxi -r" line in a bit, but have to get to some other stuff first . . . having to reboot to get back and forth etc.  I'll post back with it when I get there.

este.el.paz

@Piper:
OK, when I ran "inxi -r" it did show that the "Nvidia" line that was there earlier today has been removed??  So, instead of what was 4 lines in apt update, there are only three, the one "debian" "unstable non-free" and two "siduction" "extra In Release" and a "fixes, In Release" . . . so it looks like the Nvidia item has to be added back in??  Not sure why that data would be removed from apt as I only added it maybe a month ago or less?

I might have done that by the console before, but I don't have that data right in front of me right now . . . can u hep me? : - 0

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
There is no "Nvidia" repo for Debian systems, including siduction.

This line should be in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/siduction.list file:

deb http://packages.siduction.org/extra  experimental main contrib non-free

este.el.paz

There is no "Nvidia" repo for Debian systems, including siduction.

This line should be in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/siduction.list file:

@dibl:
OK, well I took a photo of the apt items, and no, there is no "experimental" line in the sources.list.  So, in a thread here in the last month I believe you guys gave me some instruction on adding whatever I would need to get "Nvidia" added into the system to help with "reviving from suspend" . . . .  And, I did see something like "Nvidia" in the apt update data the first time I ran "apt update/upgrade" . . . but now seemingly "nvidia" has been "lost" or "removed" and the system can't make a decision on how to get the GUI loaded up???

Is the key point to first be adding this "experimental" element into the sources.list, and that will allow nvidia to be added via what?? the "ppa"??? list???
eep

Offline piper

• User
Lets do this, lets edit

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
or

nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
Your going to add these to sources to the debian.list

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free

Take out whatever nvidia sources you added either with a # or remove

After that do

apt update
Now lets get rid of whatever nvidia you have and start fresh

apt purge nvidia.
Make sure you  **include**  the period, this will delete all of nvidia blob

Once thats done, lets install nvidia from debian

apt update; apt install nvidia-driver nvidia-driver-libs nvidia-settings nvidia-smi nvidia-kernel-dkms -t experimental

Reboot your computer for changes to apply

Edit:

changed to experimental from
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
« Last Edit: 2019/08/03, 19:50:23 by piper »

este.el.paz

@piper:
OK, thanks for that, I read through my other post and it looks like I used synaptic to install the nvidia driver before, and somebody posted back, "Don't use synaptic" but didn't give me any coaching on how to do it the right way.  I'll give it a shot via tty in a minute.
[edit:] A few minutes later . . . I don't know how this happened, but I'm back in the GUI . . . .  : - )))))  So it seemed like running those commands worked out, as it got to the end of the "ko" section of adding the nvidia drivers it just left the tty and went to the log in window . . . so thanks kindly for that.  Reading through the other thread I couldn't figure out if I needed to name the nvidia driver version and/or other things needed to put into the list to install.

in that section of the /etc/sources.list.d/ that I nano'd the debian "src" lines were hashtagged out, and also there was a "#" in front of the "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free"  line as well.   Wasn't sure, but I just left those lines as they were.

The first line you suggested adding the "//deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free" . . . was already there, un hashtagged.

Thanks for the assist.  Looks like there were a few other packages to add that showed up in update/upgrade from this morning . . . .
« Last Edit: 2019/08/03, 03:19:33 by este.el.paz »

Offline piper

• User
Ok cool, glad it works  :)

I will mark this thread as solved, if it's not let us know and will will help some more ;)