BUGS > 2015.1

Root Terminal will not launch 15.1/KDE

<< < (3/3)

dibl:
You're welcome.

I did try the KDE root terminal and it did open the first time, just as you observed, and then failed thereafter until a reboot.  When it came up, I noted that it is KDE's konsole, the same package as the user konsole.  So I would say (a) you found a bona-fide bug, and (b) just open konsole as a user and "su" to root, and you get the same result as if the KDE root terminal worked correctly.

julian516:
Exactly right the root terminal is not critical, I just thought reporting the malfunction was in order.  I don't think it would bother me at all if it were removed.

Meanwhile I had to do a reinstall of 15.1 in order to get back up but that was not difficult and a good lesson learned about upgrade warnings.

I am about to try Piper's solution for the root terminal bug in order to see if it works.

julian516:
Piper's possible solution did not work for me, assuming I was able to do it correctly.  I used htop to stop the dbus daemon he indicates and then went into session-bus where I found two files.  I deleted what I took to be the oldest of the two, leaving only one.

Root-Terminal then behaved exactly as it has been behaving, so the fix did not work.

BTW the Debian bug-post Piper referenced seems directly relevant, so the bug is known and not yet repaired, evidently.

The good news is that the Root Terminal is a marginal benefit in the first place.  Given that fact I might just choose to hid it on the menu or remove it altogether.

I suppose we cannot mark this thread as "solved" but we seem to have gone as far with it as we can.

jaegermeister:
This in konsole or any other term will do fine, also with the bonus of running X apps as root:

alias sux='su -l -c x-terminal-emulator'

julian516:
No apparent effect jaegermeister, but thank you for sharing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version