Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Add Software Manager/Software Center To Siduction?  (Read 2392 times)

DougGuy

[EN] Add Software Manager/Software Center To Siduction?
« on: 2018/01/08, 00:39:15 »
Can I add a software manager like gnome-software to Siduction 18.1?  I would like to have one like Ubuntu or Mint use, I know that Gnome-Software and Gnome-Software Common can be installed from Synaptic, but it doesn't want to run without issue, I get a message saying something went wrong.  The updater does work however.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Add Software Manager/Software Center To Siduction?
« Reply #1 on: 2018/01/08, 10:21:17 »
Can  you please be more specific than "something went wrong"? and please let us know what image with what flavour you installed.

DougGuy

« Reply #2 on: 2018/01/08, 18:23:56 »
I think the issue resolved itself!  After I uninstalled gnome-software and gnome-software-controls the system updated itself and when I re-installed the gnome packages so I could duplicate the error message, the gnome software center is running now and no more of the "Sorry, something went wrong" messages.  I got the error message one time after the second install but it doesn't give the message now.

Siduction 18.1 Gnome image with Cinnamon Desktop added.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2018/01/08, 19:43:32 »
Good to hear, that you got it solved. Just one thing: siduction for sure does not update anything on its own.

DougGuy

« Reply #4 on: 2018/01/09, 01:02:36 »
That is indeed odd.  Before I reinstalled gnome-software and gnome-software-controls, I booted the machine and went to synaptic package manager which instead of opening, gave me a message that another software manager was running.  Soon I got a prompt that there was an update available, a single system update.  I ran the updater and all seemed like it worked fine.  Then I reinstalled the gnome software and after one error message saying "Sorry, something went wrong" the gnome software center was running like it should.

On the first install of it, the ALL and INSTALLED windows would not display anything, but the updater did work.  I wonder if it stayed installed when I uninstalled the other two packages, and ran on the next boot?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2018/01/09, 08:50:17 »
Your case is the perfect reason why I never use or recommend anything else than pure apt for keeping my system uptodate.

Kan

« Reply #6 on: 2018/05/24, 04:03:27 »
This thread is a few months old, but I will add Gnome Software currently has a few bugs. I have experienced random crashes. I would only use it for browsing software.
I also installed the following two add-ons;1. gnome-software-plugin-snap2. gnome-software-plugin-flatpak
Currently, I would not recommend the flatpak plugin. It threw up some errors about permissions in the 'apt' directory, which I guess is a bug (found a few bug reports filed.) Great for installing/uninstalling and managing snap software. Use at your own risk.