Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [SOLVED] 32 bit, how to change to a kernel that will be updated  (Read 2669 times)

Offline vilde

• User
I hel a friend to keep an old Thinkpad t60 to run. it's a 32 bit installatioin and the kernels are not updated with siduction anymore.
What kernel shall I change to and how?
« Last Edit: 2018/01/28, 23:52:17 by vilde »

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline vilde

• User
Re: 32 bit, how to change to a kernel that will be updated
« Reply #2 on: 2018/01/28, 09:53:32 »
hmmm, tried liquorix kernel  but fails to boot

I think I got the wrong repo.

But following the way to install at liquorix.net fails, I, m not able to install the keyring

Edit : Did get the keyring and installed kernel again but same, fails to boot with the liquorix kernel.

probably I give up this shit, Iḿ fed up with it. Maybe install something else with 32 bit support.

Thanks for trying to help piper
« Last Edit: 2018/01/28, 12:49:31 by vilde »

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2018/01/28, 13:01:17 »
Well, it's debian, isn't it?
Code: [Select]
apt install linux-image-686 linux-headers-686
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2018/01/28, 13:48:11 »
https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2640.html
What do you want to say with the quote melmarker, I don't get?

About the link to liquorix furum, I have red that, tried that and got it to work, tried with both 32 bits kernel, none of them will boot the computer. Anyway thank you.

Well, it's debian, isn't it?
Code: [Select]
apt install linux-image-686 linux-headers-686
This works and I asume that it is the oroginal debian kernel. This will work for a while on this computer I hope
Thank you der_bud

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2018/01/28, 14:06:23 »
I've got that stock debian kernel running on an older PC where I had problems with liquorix kernel as well. Was several month ago, so I can't remember what problems that were, but I am very satisfied with pure debian kernel now.
For 'keeping an older system alive for a while' I am still thinking about switching to pure debian stable on that machine (+backports of course), but for the time being it runs on siduction, only without towos kernel.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #7 on: 2018/01/28, 14:08:10 »
Quote from: vilde
Edit : Did get the keyring and installed kernel again but same, fails to boot with the liquorix kernel.

probably I give up this shit, Iḿ fed up with it. Maybe install something else with 32 bit support.

Thanks for trying to help piper

When people request a 32 bit build on IRC or here on the forums, we build it for them and this kernel is included with the 32 bit builds.

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=7024.msg56877#msg56877
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #8 on: 2018/01/28, 14:11:01 »
@vilde - if the keyring is not installed for liquorix - get the keyring an install it. The techpatterns link point to the keyring package.

but the debian kernel should work fine too
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2018/01/28, 23:50:49 »
@melmarker, sorry I misunderstood, I red your "signature quote" of B Franklin as a message text, therefore I asked what you wanted to say.

I will mark this as solved now, my friends computer will now run with the Debian kernel.