Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] Problem with new kernel 5.8.5-towo.1-siduction-amd64 and KDE Plasma  (Read 2867 times)

Offline graviton

• User
After installing the kernel 5.8.5-towo.1-siduction-amd64 and restarting the system it goes into emergency mode, other kernel version 5.8.3-towo.5-siduction-amd64 shows the same behavior. KDE cannot be started and the home partition is not mounted. Uninstalling the 5.8.5 kernel with kernel-remover does not result in any change when booting the older kernel.

How do I get the older kernel to boot?

By the way, for some time now an error has been displayed during system startup: bios ACPI error: Symbol (s) cannot be resolved

I would be grateful for any hints on solving the kernel problem!
graviton
« Last Edit: 2020/08/30, 10:56:27 by graviton »

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Are you saying no kernel will boot on that platform?  I googled your BIOS error and found this: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1610727
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline graviton

• User
Thanks dibl for the link, but the bios error has nothing to do with my current kernel problem, because the same bios error occurred during a new installation on another laptop. My computer always started up despite the bios errors displayed.

First and foremost, it's about how my computer starts with the old kernel?
graviton

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
If the problem is the new kernel, an older kernel should boot. If you don't have an older kernel, you might have to install one.

If an older kernel won't boot either, then that's your indication that the problem is something else -- maybe grub, maybe some hardware issue, boot sector fault on a hard drive, etc. etc. That's how I would approach troubleshooting.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline graviton

• User
Sorry my mistake, the new kernel (already deleted) and the older kernel booted in the same incorrect way "emergency mode" only, no KDE plasma, no integrated home partition etc.

Greetings graviton

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
OK "boots to emergency mode only" sounds like a graphics issue -- maybe graphics driver.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
With the given information all I can say is that both kernels work fine here with Intel graphics.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Confirm -- latest kernels are working here with old Intel, less old Intel, and two Nvidia GPUs.

Offline graviton

• User
@ devil (etc.), thanks for your hint, I'm afraid that something went wrong with my upgrade yesterday, especially since I was able to install two kernels in quick succession. It is time to set up the system again, it has been stable for several years, even with major KDE plasma changes.

Will there be new iso builds in the future?

This is also the time to say thank you for the excellent work over the past few years! I will remain loyal to siduction in the future. :-)

Greetings, graviton

Offline der_bud

• User
...  Will there be new iso builds in the future? ...
There are current test builds at https://isobuilds.siduction.org/  ;)
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.