Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] no Grub screen with the latest (kde) iso image on Lenovo E125  (Read 3288 times)

Offline gour

• User
Hello!

I was able to resolve the problem of installing siduction on my Lenovo E125 netbook by using ventoy...However, after re-installing KDE spin, I do experience the same issue, but this time with the *installed* OS? Iow., the machine boots fine using default Grub entry, but I am not able to see siduction's splash image along with grub entries. Any idea how to troubleshoot it further?

Offline ro_sid

• User
Hello!

I have a difficulty in understanding your (exact) problem: does everything work in principle, but you just do not get the Siduction background? In grub? Or with sddm? Or does just "splash" (the animation) not work?

Offline gour

• User
I have a difficulty in understanding your (exact) problem: does everything work in principle, but you just do not get the Siduction background? In grub?

Yes, similar to the situation with live iso when I was not able to see Grub menu... Now it is the same situation - I do not see Grub background and menu entries (different siduction versions, memtest+ entry, snapshots...), but the machine boots into sddm screen since I do not use automatic login.

So, everything does work, but I'd have hard time in case there would be need to e.g. boot into some snapshot.  ???

Offline ro_sid

• User
Okay. But the screen does get initialized? A e.g. Lenovo Logo is displayed, before Grub starts "blind"? If so, and if grub worked fine until the last change, then I presume, that your (/boot/grub/)grub.cfg file makes trouble. [As soon as it works again, I would save a copy of that file somewhere :).]
I did append my version of grub.cfg - renamed as grub.cfg.txt to be able to attach it. There, I just cut the "30_os-prober"-section down to the MS-Windows-entry. Of course, all the entries concerning "disk-values" (like label, UUIDs, partitions etc.) have to be adjusted.

I suspect the "else"-branch of the "load_video" function, which is responsible for UEFI-display-handling to be the culprit part.

You can also start any (working/displaying) grub - e.g. from ventoy or whatever -, then press 'c' for command mode and then run "your" grub-configuration with 'configfile "diskpartition"/path/to/configfile/grub.cfg'.

Offline gour

• User
Okay. But the screen does get initialized? A e.g. Lenovo Logo is displayed, before Grub starts "blind"? If so, and if grub worked fine until the last change, then I presume, that your (/boot/grub/)grub.cfg file makes trouble. [As soon as it works again, I would save a copy of that file somewhere :).]

I was evaluating some other options (openSUSE, SpiralLinux, plain Debian), but eventually put my faith in siduction and moved both of my machines to it (Xfce spin).

For now, the workaround for my troubleshooting netbook is to enable grub's console and when gui is disabled, everything is fine, but I'll research further to pinpoint the real culprit.  ;)