Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] Upgrade-Warning: gnome 3.12 transition  (Read 12581 times)

Offline terroreek

• User
Re: [solved] Upgrade-Warning: gnome 3.12 transition
« Reply #15 on: 2014/07/18, 06:09:58 »
So far other than the fact my modified theme for gnome-shell was borked, I had to find a new shell theme, I am really liking it thus far.  I really like gnome-sushi.

I found when using the open or save dialog gedit didn't honour the sort folders before files option, I was able to fix that by unchecking the option and then rechecking the option in nautilus. 

jheaton5

« Reply #16 on: 2014/07/18, 11:23:06 »
Hello all,

I have not done a dist-upgrade in several days because du still wants to remove
gdm3
gnome-core
gnome-session
gnome-shell
libmetacity-private0a
libmutter0b

the candidate for gnome-core is still 3.8+8 while all the others are the new 3.12.2-3.  I can't find any documentation stating that gnome-core is being replaced.  My mirror is ftp.us.debian.org.  Could it be that this mirror has not received the latest update for gnome-core?  I'm content to wait for the transition to complete in my mirror if that is the issue.  Any advice?

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #17 on: 2014/07/18, 17:37:10 »
libmetacity-private0a
libmutter0b

should be removed you should be getting replaced I believe.

jheaton5

« Reply #18 on: 2014/07/18, 17:49:24 »
Hi terroreek,
I believe you are correct.  But I don't want to proceed with gdm3, gnome-core, gnome-session and gnome-shell being removed.
Thank you for your help.

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #19 on: 2014/07/18, 17:51:03 »
No you are correct it's weird that it wants to remove them.  My guess is that its just a mirror sync issue. 

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #20 on: 2014/07/18, 22:20:21 »
Hello jheaton5,

siduction avoids the installation of gnome-core, because it has too many dependencies.
Instead we pick the really neccessary packages and install them manually.

Code: [Select]
$ LANG=C  apt-cache policy gnome-core
gnome-core:
  Installed: (none)       <---- not installed by our default.
  Candidate: 1:3.8+8
  Version table:
     1:3.8+8 0
        500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages

This is a "best practise" for debian unstable.
You now see why: One of its dependencies is broken, and you need to decide.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

jheaton5

« Reply #21 on: 2014/07/19, 00:31:29 »
Thank you, musca.  I'm not running siduction but pure debian sid. 

jheaton5

« Reply #22 on: 2014/07/19, 01:36:02 »
Again, thanks guys.  I let the dist-upgrade remove the gnome files and then re-installed them.  All good.

Offline OppaErich

• OLE
  • User
« Reply #23 on: 2014/07/19, 10:23:13 »
Hmm, not here. Only KDE fanboys would call this a successful upgrade: Gnome is gone, I'm on KDE now. Some other $dm comes up, does not look like gdm3 and only KDE is available under Sessions. gnome-core is not installed.

« Last Edit: 2014/07/19, 10:46:26 by OppaErich »

anonproxy

« Reply #24 on: 2014/07/19, 15:06:00 »
Hi all

Actually I did a du today.  Gnome which was the default DE has gone.  Automatically logs in or opens another DE.  Gnome packages are still there.

Having just looked at the packages it looks like d-u is not working properly, as I have a lower version of gnome.

Upon further inspection looks like the du is done in two parts today.  First time does not install all the packages.  But even after the second du gnome does not start or is even recognised as an option to start.

Awesome it is then.  Upwards and away.

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #25 on: 2014/07/19, 20:30:39 »
Hello OppaErich and anonproxy,

you need to present more details. Please consider opening a new thread.

I was playing with an RC kernel and its new parameters while doing dist-upgrades in between when i noticed gnome wasn't starting.
In my case it was gdm3 not being started at all. I switched to lightdm and back to gdm3 and in both cases gnome could be started just fine.

# dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
(selected lightdm in the config dialog)

#dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
(selected gdm in the config dialog)

I just did another dist-upgrade and gnome starts as usual. I'm sure there is not really a general issue with the repos.

greetings
musca

anonproxy

« Reply #26 on: 2014/07/19, 21:18:48 »
Hi

I tried the dpkg-reconfigure lightdm.  That did nothing.

I then checked the dpkg-reconfigure gdm3.  Said gdm3 was not properly/completely installed.  So I installed gdm3.  Then the dialouge appeared asking which I wanted to use.  But despite all this still no gnome on gdm.

Offline OppaErich

• OLE
  • User
« Reply #27 on: 2014/07/20, 10:38:19 »
apt-get install gnomebrought anything back.

anonproxy

« Reply #28 on: 2014/07/20, 11:01:31 »
@OppaErich - I'll try that in a minute :)
Yeah - that worked.  Thanks :D
« Last Edit: 2014/07/20, 11:08:27 by anonproxy »

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #29 on: 2014/07/20, 16:13:32 »
Hello OppaErich and anonproxy,

nice to see you have your gnome desktop back to work.

Let me remark: Installing the metapackes gnome or gnome-core is not the siduction way.
Theese packages have extended dependency lists to pull in everything that might be comfortible.

Package gnome
Depends: gnome-core, desktop-base, network-manager-gnome, aisleriot, cheese, evolution,
  evolution-plugins, file-roller, gedit, gnome-color-manager, gnome-documents, gnome-games,
  gnome-nettool, nautilus-sendto, gnome-orca, rygel-preferences, seahorse, totem, vinagre,
  alacarte, avahi-daemon, gimp, gnome-media, gnome-tweak-tool, hamster-applet, inkscape,
  libreoffice-gnome, libreoffice-writer | abiword, libreoffice-calc | gnumeric, libreoffice-impress,
  rhythmbox, shotwell, simple-scan, sound-juicer, tomboy | gnote, tracker-gui, transmission-gtk,
  xdg-user-dirs-gtk, cups-pk-helper, gedit-plugins, gnome-shell-extensions, gstreamer1.0-libav,
  gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly, rhythmbox-plugins, rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder, rygel-playbin,
  rygel-tracker | rygel, telepathy-gabble, telepathy-rakia, telepathy-salut, totem-plugins, libgtk2-perl
Recommends: browser-plugin-gnash, gdebi, telepathy-idle

gnome-core
Depends: libatk-adaptor, at-spi2-core, baobab, brasero, caribou, caribou-antler,
  libcaribou-gtk-module, libcaribou-gtk3-module, dconf-gsettings-backend, dconf-tools,
  empathy, eog, evince, evolution-data-server, fonts-cantarell, sound-theme-freedesktop,
  gnome-calculator, gconf2, gdm3, glib-networking, gnome-backgrounds, gnome-bluetooth,
  gnome-contacts, gnome-control-center, gnome-dictionary, gnome-disk-utility, gnome-font-viewer,
  gnome-icon-theme, gnome-icon-theme-extras, gnome-icon-theme-symbolic, gnome-keyring,
  libpam-gnome-keyring, gnome-menus, gnome-online-accounts, gnome-packagekit,
  gnome-screenshot, gnome-session, gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-shell, gnome-system-log,
  gnome-system-monitor, gnome-terminal, gnome-themes-standard, gnome-user-guide,
  gnome-user-share, tracker-gui | gnome-search-tool, gsettings-desktop-schemas,
  gstreamer1.0-plugins-base, gstreamer1.0-plugins-good, gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio,
  libgtk-3-common, gtk2-engines, gucharmap, gvfs-backends, gvfs-bin, gvfs-fuse, iceweasel,
  libcanberra-pulse, gkbd-capplet, metacity, mousetweaks, nautilus, notification-daemon,
  policykit-1-gnome, pulseaudio, gnome-sushi, vino, yelp, zenity
Recommends: network-manager-gnome, anacron

My concern is not about speed. I happily would install all of those packages, but not as dependencies. I don't want to be bothered by every little packaging issue in that huge package cloud straight asking me "Do you want to remove gnome?". Why are theese extras not simply recommends? I think of it as packaging bugs. In fact this dependency hell has caused breakage even in the stable release (see #715555 ).

greetings
musca