Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Grub/Bootmanager destroyed how to restore?  (Read 8240 times)

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
Re: Grub/Bootmanager destroyed how to restore?
« Reply #30 on: 2023/09/07, 14:35:56 »
Code: [Select]
# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/foo foo

# mount /dev/mapper/foo /mnt

?

Only to understand what you are doing!

Offline lanig

• User
« Reply #31 on: 2023/09/07, 17:59:28 »
@hendrikL
# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/foo foo

# mount /dev/mapper/foo /mnt
Yes, this is what I have done, I don't have any problem with this part.

@ro_sid : yes, the "grub_efi_load_image" message is  after I have "fixed" grub.
There is one thing that I would like to know :
my efi partition has only one directory named "EFI" so when I mount my efi partition to inside /boot I have in fact a /boot/efi/EFI directory. Could it be a problem to install properly grub?
Grub correctly sees the hd0gpt2 (encrypted) partition where / resides.

Offline ro_sid

• User
« Reply #32 on: 2023/09/07, 21:31:28 »
Hello, I hope in "@ro_sid : yes, the "grub_efi_load_image" message is  after I have "fixed" grub." there is a 'gone' missing?!  :)
If not, it is still messy.

And yes, /boot/efi is exactly the correct mountpoint, so /boot/efi/EFI is as it should be.
Within EFI/, there should at least be a subdirectory "siduction" and, may be, "BOOT". Since you have not a (just) BOOT-directory already, it is a good idea to copy that BOOT-directory in EFI/ to the partition-root (i.e. /boot/efi), too, such that you have an /boot/efi/BOOT entry. This way, you can boot the disk without an EFI-entry in the EFI-variables list.

This will not help with the encrypted partition, though. What error (message) do you get now? Still "no such cryptodisk found"?

Offline tommy2

• User
« Reply #33 on: 2023/09/09, 15:35:43 »
Had a simular issue, ended up using super grub 2 to start my system. Once that was up I sudo grub-install /dev/sda(x) in my case 2 the second partition when that completed I ran sudo update-grub and all was back to normal. In my case I needed to identify which partition my efi was in (2) to make the grub installation in the correct location. Hope this helps..
Tommy2

Offline lanig

• User
« Reply #34 on: 2023/09/09, 19:02:38 »
Thanks for the answers. I have done what ro_sid suggested me but with no luck so I have given up, backed my files and clone the system with apt-clone and reinstalled siduction which btw allowed me to discover the new artwork.  ;)

Offline lanig

• User
« Reply #35 on: 2023/09/10, 08:49:38 »
In short :
- Installation of Siduction  with encrypted disk ok
- Boot on new system ok
- apt update ; apt upgrade and installation of new kernel ---> same failure as before. There is something wrong.

I am trying a net install of Debian 12 to compare but the installer is really unpractical for encrypted disks.

Offline lanig

• User
« Reply #36 on: 2023/09/10, 10:32:58 »
Questions :

- Is the efi partition formated at install time? in this partition, I have a siduction folder and a siduction_2012_3 folder. Could it be the origin of my problems?
- Why siduction can boot an encrypted root fs without a /boot partition and debian 12 can't?

Offline edlin

• User
« Reply #37 on: 2023/09/10, 11:43:31 »
In short :
- Installation of Siduction  with encrypted disk ok
- Boot on new system ok
- apt update ; apt upgrade and installation of new kernel ---> same failure as before. There is something wrong.
What i would do:
- Installation of Siduction  with encrypted disk
- Boot on new system
- apt update ; apt full-upgrade and installation of new kernel
- grub-install
- update-grub
- reboot

edlin
Der Kluge lernt aus allem und von jedem,
der Normale aus seinen Erfahrungen
und der Dumme weiß alles besser.

Sokrates

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #38 on: 2023/09/10, 12:18:22 »
Why not use one of our fixed ISO's!

Maybe we have to announce it.

Or like edlin wrote and/or as written at the top of our warnings, https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=9115.0

Offline lanig

• User
« Reply #39 on: 2023/09/10, 21:51:40 »
Thanks for the answers. I absolutely need my laptop tomorrow so I've installed Bookworm which works. The one year and a half spent with Siduction was very nice, with far less hassles (in fact until this one, only one) that I had imagined. Thanks to the developers and the forum members.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #40 on: 2023/09/11, 00:27:13 »
I am having similar issues. An update a few days ago rendered my laptop unbootable. Booted a current iso to run grub-install and update-grub but the system just freezes. Also tried to use the live system to boot the installed system but it wouldn't find it. I decided to reinstall. Installation runs fine until installing the boot loader and the system locks up. I use the live system to boot into the newly installed system and again run grub-install but the system freezes.
When there was a freeze up I let it go just to see if it would eventually complete but no go. I may try and older iso and hope for better results 

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #41 on: 2023/09/11, 06:51:18 »
intel_iommu=igfx_off

Maybe you need to add this to the boot command line.

And if you install new, please before rebooting after apt full-upgrade do an apt grub-install and update-grub.

See https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=9115.0

and here https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=9118.0
« Last Edit: 2023/09/11, 06:55:06 by hendrikL »

Offline ro_sid

• User
« Reply #42 on: 2023/09/11, 13:54:52 »
Falls sich jemand das Experimentieren "nicht antun" will und auf unkomplizierte Wiederherstellung Wert legt, ferner ein boot-fähiges Medum (Stick, SSD, Platte etc.) zu opfern bereit ist, möchte ich ihn auf das Programm "Relax and Recover" (Debian-Paket "rear") hinweisen. Dessen Hauptaufgabe ist die Wiederherstellung der Bootfähigkeit anhand der letzten Sicherung.
Es kann auch komplette Sicherungen vornehmen, aber sein Hauptaugenmerk liegt auf der Boot-Wiederherstellung.