Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Siduction as a daily driver?  (Read 2347 times)

Offline snowcrash

[EN] Siduction as a daily driver?
« on: 2023/07/10, 15:03:31 »
Hi

I hope this is the right place to post.

I'm currently an MX Linux (debian based) user for a few years, though still consider my self as a newbie when it comes to getting under the hood of debian. I'm competent using the command line. But not good at understanding package management and when things break.

I'm tempted by siduction because it's rolling release. Though uncertain about the best practice of applying updates to avoid breaking the system, as I would want to use it as a daily driver. Are there any recommended 'best practices' for applying updates?

Often I read that you need to check "what apt wants to do" before applying updates, but I'm usually not clear on interpreting the changes. Perhaps I'm too much of a newbie for siduction, and need to stick with a stable debian distro?

thanks 

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Siduction as a daily driver?
« Reply #1 on: 2023/07/10, 15:33:59 »
This is straightforward, and we just had the case the other day. If apt says, it wants to remove 400 packages, don't do it. Common sense, no further knowledge needed. If your trigger finger hits ENTER in such a situation, noone can help you. In such a situation you can safely do apt upgrade until the situation clears, usualy after a day or to. These situations don't constantly happen, but they do happen, specially after the release of a Debian Stable version.

It is a good idea to check tue section 'Uprade Warnings' here on the forum, before doing a dist-upgrade (or full-upgrade, as it is called sometimes). If you are a bit aware of these things, siduction is well suited for daily driver and even productive use.

Online hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #2 on: 2023/07/10, 15:39:53 »
Mh. well, I use siduction as daily and productive system, since yesrs.

So yes it is possible to use it for daily use.

It is based on debian unstable, so you have to take care,

Some times there are changes which need a bit investigations, like how many files will be removed, which one get a replacement and so on 

So if you fire up an apt full-upgrade and you read nearly 250 packages gone to be removed, then for example it is better to hit "n" and ask and look what is written in the warnings. Yes if unsure , ask, here or in our irc chanel, it is always good to be patient,, some will answer your question,. We also have a matrix bridge if i am right.

What also is a good idea, backup backup backup your personal data, if something went wrong you can recover..

Ah and yes, use the command line to update your system!

Read our manual, it always a good place to start learning, yes siduction is not for Linux starters more for advanced ones but don't hurt.

Some times debian unstable can be a bit rough, but hey if you aware about it with open eyes, not shy to ask, than it is not that hard as some people think.

Important, because of the rolling, minimum 1times a week it needs a full-upgrade, if possible, otherwise you can run in trouble.

You are welcome

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2023/07/10, 18:27:54 »
Daily driver for 13 years, if I count aptosid and sidux earlier. And I am very far from a Linux expert.

You just have to observe a few rules, and exercise reasonable caution. Use the Debian repos for your software, and don't download software from elsewhere unless you are very certain of what you are doing. Do your updates fairly often -- I update my systems daily. When "apt full-upgrade" says something will be removed, choose "n". Then you can use "apt upgrade" for a day or two or three, such as the recent issues with a qt5 transition. That's basically all you have to do. Check this forum when in doubt. Ask your questions (after you have used google and can't find the answer ...).

And of course, like with any computer system, have a data backup method with Plan A and Plan B for recovery from disaster.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline snowcrash

« Reply #4 on: 2023/07/11, 11:51:39 »
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I noticed it's mentiond to update frequently. If for example I were away, and didn't for a couple of weeks, what could happen? And would there be any specific steps to take to avoid issues arising?

Offline vinzv

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2023/07/11, 13:05:56 »
Nothing, really. I have various machines running Siduction. Some of them I use rarely and therefore update only once a month.

The only thing that happens is that the update count rises and every update is bigger in terms of download size.