Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Currently doing apt full-upgrade. Multiple previous fails. Advice?  (Read 2636 times)

geklmintendont

I am currently apt full-upgrade-ing to the new 4.2 kernel.

The last times I tried, I got failed loaded modules and no graphics.

Every time the upgrade fails I load the backup, so that's why my system is still up and running.

It has been multiple days since the last time I tried to upgrade, so i'm hoping all the problems are gone, but I have my doubts.

I've done an enormous amount of work to customize this system to my liking (I had to build several programs from source for instance, and I really do NOT want to have to do that again) and I've made sure to follow the Don't Break Debian rules to a reasonable extent- Only a couple programs are installed through downloaded .deb packages, and they're all emulators (Dependencies were installed through synaptic). I manually installed the header files for GLM and GL3 into the usr/include folder, but that doesn't break the Don't Break Debian rules.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do if the upgrades continue to fail. Obviously I can't run this system forever without updating it, because pretty soon I won't be able to get programs for it through synaptic without updating. I really hate the idea of having to reinstall siduction from a fresh install DVD, and it's bullshit that I'd have to anyway.

I really don't want to go back to windows either, it sucks donkey dick

I will update this post after I finish the upgrade.

geklmintendont

Link to the printout of apt full-upgrade upgrades (none of the downloading stuff)https://pastebin.com/fNsQRKWr

geklmintendont

I am now restarting my system.
Wish me luck.

Online dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Try a

Code: [Select]
dpkg --config -a
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline sunrat

• User
It would help to mention your hardware, but I'm guessing you have Nvidia graphics. There is a whole other thread on this issue with 4.20 kernel but basically you need to either upgrade to Nvidia 415.x driver from siduction experimental repo or purge nvidia and use nouveau.You should still be able to boot an earlier kernel instead.

geklmintendont

Update Failed. I had to load a backup.

How do I get the experimental package?
Can I just wait for the experimental package to be moved to unstable?

I have an Nvidia GTX 960.

I also heard that virtualbox was causing problems, should I purge it as well?

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
Quote from: geklmintendont
I also heard that virtualbox was causing problems,

By whom? Hanisch? :-D

VBox 6.0.2 is compatible with Kernel 4.20 (legacy 5.2.24 should be too).

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
Quote from: geklmintendont
How do I get the experimental package?

Not a package, a repository.

echo "deb     https://packages.siduction.org/extra experimental non-free" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/experimental.list
apt update
apt install -t experimental xserver-xorg-video-nvidia

I just ran it with an extra "-s", would work.
« Last Edit: 2019/01/25, 06:55:06 by axt »

soniclog

Hi, youre problem seems to be this:
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-FKqr4k/297-libopenmpi3_3.1.3-10_amd64.deb
 /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-FKqr4k/301-openmpi-common_3.1.3-10_all.deb

Watch this thread and the solutions, unfortunately it's written in german, I hope you understand the code snippets. Summary:
dpkg -a         - or -
dpkg --configure -a

result? nothing? go on... The main problem seems: libopenmpi3 and openmpi-common.

Therefore please edit theitr two (postrm-)scripts in /var/lib/dpkg/info with:
exit 0
after the line: set -e
save the file and: apt -f install

or purge the two packages.

After all an d-u.
Hope it helps. :)

geklmintendont

dpkg -a ? OK well I just backed up my system I'll try it