Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] xfce 4.12  (Read 3370 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] xfce 4.12
« on: 2015/04/05, 01:13:42 »
So in February, xfce 4.12 was released, that's nearly three years since the last release, will this be pulled in during time with d-u:s or will it not came in siduction until next release?

If I'm not wrong the xfce 4.12 is already in debian experimental, is it possible to get it from there, I have tried and failed, but as usual I don't know what I'm doing ;)

It can be that there are somebody who knows how to do it, is there, and how do I do? Just for the fun to try :)

Offline ReinerS

• User
Re: xfce 4.12
« Reply #1 on: 2015/04/06, 18:07:58 »
How (and when) did it fail ?
I have installed it from experimental and only found that some additional software (mostly plugins) did/do not run.

Apart from that 4.12 shows no problems here.

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2015/04/06, 18:33:35 »
How (and when) did it fail ?
I have installed it from experimental and only found that some additional software (mostly plugins) did/do not run.

Apart from that 4.12 shows no problems here.

regards

Reiner

I got stuck during installation with some dependencies, don't remember what actually.

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2015/04/07, 10:19:28 »
Yes there were some of these in the beginning, especially orage did not like the new release until it itself got updated  :D

regards

Reiner

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2015/04/07, 14:43:57 »
Yes there were some of these in the beginning, especially orage did not like the new release until it itself got updated  :D

regards

Reiner
The thing is that I have done one successful installation with xfce 4.12 on one computer, then I tried it on another and the dependency problem made it impossible to get it to work, the installation never finished. I don't really know what I did that was different from the first to the second. So I'm just curious to know how is the proper way to do this?

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2015/04/09, 17:26:08 »
Had both boxes been on the same package-level of unstable before you tried it ?

regards

Reiner

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2015/04/09, 17:50:17 »
New installed and updated but maybe a couple of weeks in between.

What I want to know is what packages you installed from experimental, xfce.......... ? and others?

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2015/04/09, 20:09:50 »
Ate the time being xfce4.12 metapackage was not installable. So I marked all the packages for xfce4.12  one by one  and let it imnstall them afterwards(via synaptic).
I believe that has changed now and on the second box later i used the xfce 1.12 metapackagean only installed additionalpackages that were not installed together with it. Still some packages/plugins moaneed as especially when they were compiled against xfce-panel 4.10 or 4.11.

regards

Reiner

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2015/04/09, 22:07:47 »
Tried it again on a spare partition,  fully updated Indian Summer, and then
Code: [Select]
apt-get install -t experimental xfce4 It workt very well.

Can be that when it didn't work last time I dis a d-u from experimental?, but anyway it works now.

One thing I want to test is that there shall be better support for multiple screens in 4.12.