Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Wireless setup for non x enviroment  (Read 2280 times)

LRC1962

[EN] Wireless setup for non x enviroment
« on: 2017/04/16, 15:38:47 »
After being away for a year or so I am back again and many things have changed. One spot I am having trouble with is Wireless setup. I have the latest 2017 iso installed and it is working great for the most part.
In KDE my wifi works fine, but when I drop out of desktop to run say DU I no longer have wifi.
Ran Ceni and I got this:
Scanning for wireless networks..Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant ctrl_iface exists and seems to be in use - cannot override it
Delete '/run/wpa_supplicant/wlp3s0' manually if it is not used anymore
Failed to initialize control interface '/run/wpa_supplicant'.
You may have another wpa_supplicant process already running or the file was left by an unclean termination of wpa_supplicant in which case you will need to manually remove this file before starting wpa_supplicant again. nl80211: deinit ifname=wlp3s0 disabled_11b_rates=0
It looks to me that something is using wpa_supplicant and therefore Ceni can not. Tried out of desktop and got the same message. Googled and looked at systemd network as I know that is the newest core of how things work and yet the network directory is empty. As I do not know how 2017 siduction iso has things setup, I really have no clue where to go to fix things. Tried the manual Ceni does not work. went with wpa_gui and that said to use Ceni first and I am stuck with that same problem. I do not feel confident at messing too much around with wpa_supplicant files until I know which direction I can go.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Wireless setup for non x enviroment
« Reply #1 on: 2017/04/16, 20:53:02 »
Tried ifup when outside of X?

Offline horo

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2017/04/16, 21:10:10 »
Hi,

another proposal to try: KDE nm applet -> connection editor -> allow connection for all users (sorry, german setup, so I don't know the exact wording of the menus).

Ciao, Martin
omnia vincit pecunia :(

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #3 on: 2017/04/16, 21:30:24 »
Hello LRC1962,

don't run "init 3", just "systemctl stop display-manager.service".

Another method: use nmtui to configure your WiFi.

If you configure /etc/network/interfaces (what ceni is for), then network-manager will ignore your WiFi.

greetings
musca
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

LRC1962

[Solved]Re: Wireless setup for non x enviroment
« Reply #4 on: 2017/05/01, 01:47:31 »
Disabled kwallet after much toggling and now wifi work fine.
For my uses Kwallet is more a pain then a help.