Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Amarok & upnp  (Read 3706 times)

Offline orinoco

• User
  • Bullshit artist
[EN] Amarok & upnp
« on: 2017/05/12, 20:00:11 »
I want to use my dlna-server (rpi with minidlna) as a local source in amarok. I activated the module upnp-collection in amarok setup without success. Is the last sentense here[1] still valid?

[1] https://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/Organization/Collection/RemoteCollections/UPnP/en

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Amarok & upnp
« Reply #1 on: 2017/05/13, 08:29:03 »
Do you really need Amarok in this equation? With Dolphin you can access network shares without mounting first (using kio-slaves). I would not depend on Amarok, we don't know how long it will be around.

That being said,  after many tries with different solutions I usePlex for delivering media from my NAS to the local network and accessing it from the outside

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2017/05/14, 04:27:08 »
I would not depend on Amarok, we don't know how long it will be around.
Damn shame that. I considered Amarok to be the finest music player on any platform back in KDE4 days. The current 2.8 version is 4 years old, and the 2.9 beta released 2 years ago never made it to release from what I can find.
Searching revealed a couple of new KDE players in development, Elisa and Babe, but neither has the complete functionality of Amarok.
Currently I get by acceptably with DeadBeef and MPV, but don't do any network playing.

Offline pit

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2017/05/14, 10:00:43 »
I stopped using amarok years ago. Sad but true: It was/is way too buggy.

What about clementine? It's features are very close to amarok 1.4. And you easyly can install it via apt get - it's in debian unstable.

Clementine is a multiplatform music player. It is inspired by Amarok 1.4, focusing on a fast and easy-to-use interface for searching and playing your music.
https://www.clementine-player.org/en

Code: [Select]
$ apt-cache policy clementine
clementine:
  Installiert:           1.3.1+git276-g3485bbe43+dfsg-1
  Installationskandidat: 1.3.1+git276-g3485bbe43+dfsg-1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 1.3.1+git276-g3485bbe43+dfsg-1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

//edit
Ooops - i have to add: Clementine has got no upnp ability. Maybe you can play around with djmount [1] It's in debian unstable as well.

By installing "Pixel Media Server" on my android device I was able to get access to files on my smartphone. You just have to create a subdircectory in /mnt (for example /mnt/dnla). And then (as user):

djmount /mnt/dnla
Success? Then you can access your upnp data in clementine by just browsing to this directory - or adding it to clementine music library.

[1]
$ apt-cache show djmount
Package: djmount
Version: 0.71-7.1
Installed-Size: 149
Maintainer: Dario Minnucci <midget@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Depends: fuse, libc6 (>= 2.14), libfuse2 (>= 2.5), libtalloc2 (>= 2.0.4~git20101213), libupnp6 (>= 1:1.6.6)
Description-en: file system client for mounting network media servers
 This package provides a client for Universal Plug'n'Play (UPnP)
 Audio-Visual MediaServers.  It discovers all compatible UPnP AV
 devices on the network automatically and mounts their media content
 as a file system using FUSE.
Description-md5: 892944c92febbfaaec5d535d7e72f237
Homepage: http://djmount.sourceforge.net/
« Last Edit: 2017/05/14, 12:01:34 by pit »

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #4 on: 2017/05/14, 14:41:36 »
sunrat, I agree, even today, I have tried every player out there, they suck compared to amarok, yes, my opinion, I know opinions are different, this ones mine ;)

I don't like light weight players :)

Audacious is ok, but, just ok
Decibel, Nuvola is not bad either

I am going to try Juk, it has been many many years since I tried that (of course I am keeping amarok for now)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck