Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] minissdp  (Read 9905 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] minissdp
« on: 2018/04/25, 11:40:34 »
Today on d-u I got the question if I wanted minissdp start on boot. Do I need it? Do I need the minissdp pacakage? and why?

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: minissdp
« Reply #1 on: 2018/04/25, 17:43:06 »
My crystal ball don't work today, you tell us if you need it 

https://packages.debian.org/sid/minissdpd
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2018/04/25, 17:57:11 »
Thanks piper

I red that myself and it's like allways reading about packages or features only generates new questions, "UPnP control point for IGD devices" ??? "all UPnP devices that announced themselves on the network through SSDP NOTIFY packets" whats that? ??? ?   and so on.

The technical language is so full of words that I don't understand that it's normally useless to reed for me. It's quite often that users get the messages to reed for them selves, it's not that easy if you not know the vocabulary or/and the meaning of the words.

So upnp is some thing tat make me be able to connect things to the computer if I remember right, the only thing I connect is usb-disks, a printer that is installed.......

I did say yes to this minissdp to start on but when do I possible need it? I have no problem letting it bee but because of the question came up during d-u there must be a reason for not having it on.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #3 on: 2018/04/25, 18:10:53 »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2018/04/25, 20:01:05 »
It's no meaning piper, I look at the first link

"is a protocol for mapping ports in network address translation"

I don't know what that means, only generating new questions as I wrote before, I don't understand this vocabulary. I don't know the meaning of the words, I even don't know what the very common word protocol means in about computers. Protocol is a thing I can write checking something.

So, if nobody want to answer my question without making me get more questions I can't answer, let it be....

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2018/04/25, 22:58:26 »
vilde, don't know if this helps, but on my siduction system there is no minissdp intalled nor did I get any messages about it during last dist-upgrades, and my external usb devices are working
If you want to investigate why you have it or which package pulled it, you might ask in terminal with 'aptitude why minissdp', perhaps that gives you some hints.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2018/04/25, 23:20:13 »
Code: [Select]
aptitude why minissdpd
if you don't need it (you probably will not)  - purge it.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2018/04/25, 23:50:19 »
aptitude why minissdpd
if you don't need it (you probably will not)  - purge it.
aptitude why minissdpd
i   transmission     Beroende av   transmission-gtk (>= 2.93-1) | transmission-q
                                   t (>= 2.93-1) | transmission-cli (>= 2.93-1)
i A transmission-gtk Beroende av   libminiupnpc16 (>= 1.9.20140610)             
i A libminiupnpc16   Rekommenderar minissdpd
(sorry it's in Swedish) 
Thank's as I have red before it s connected to transmission, I use that so maybe I let the minissdp be.

And thanks for the "aptidude why" command, didn't know about that :)

vilde, don't know if this helps, but on my siduction system there is no minissdp intalled nor did I get any messages about it during last dist-upgrades, and my external usb devices are working
If you want to investigate why you have it or which package pulled it, you might ask in terminal with 'aptitude why minissdp', perhaps that gives you some hints.

Thanks, maybe you don't have transmission installed? Or maybe it's because it's a recommended package it will maybe not install automatic if you have an old installation of siduction? Probably I have wrong about this but maybe not ;)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #8 on: 2018/04/26, 00:01:15 »
erm - next time please use
LANG=C aptitude why .....
english is just better to read for the most of us. Thanks - so it is easy:

% apt show transmission-qt   
Package: transmission-qt
Version: 2.93-1
Priority: optional
Section: net
Source: transmission
Maintainer: Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org>
Installed-Size: 2.339 kB
Depends: transmission-common (= 2.93-1), libc6 (>= 2.14), libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.18.0), libevent-2.1-6 (>= 2.1.8-stable), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.0), libminiupnpc16 (>= 1.9.20140610), libnatpmp1 (>= 20150609), libqt5core5a (>= 5.10.0), libqt5dbus5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.8.0), libqt5network5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.6.0~beta), libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.4.0), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
minissdpd is just a kind of cache for upnp and speed these things up by registering all devices in the network - should do no harm - even if not used. And it is only recommend - so you could purge it if you are sure that you don't have  or use upnp devices. I would suggest to leave it like it is  ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)