Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] d-u wants to remove xpdf and ghostscript-cups  (Read 5101 times)

HunkirDowne

I first saw this a week or two ago and held off on d-u until things settled down maybe.  But the d-u remove is still there so I placed the packages on hold.  Now I get dependency errors on libre office.  Any ideas why xpdf is to be removed?  I'm kinda attached to it.  I can hold off d-u for a while -- nothing seems in major need of upgrade at the moment unless I'm missing some huge security issue with the kernel (3.12-1.towo-siduction-686).

Code: [Select]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ghostscript-cups xpdf
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kde-games-core-declarative libbsh-java libfakeroot libmarblewidget16
  libopusfile0 linux-image-3.12-2.towo-siduction-686 sidu-base
The following packages will be upgraded: (big ol' long list)
219 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Placed two packages on hold, get:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libreoffice-core : Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

I'm not in a huge rush by any means, but if someone knows something off the top of their head, pleaase drop a reply.  Worst case I get impatient and/or curious and let d-u removals go ahead.

« Last Edit: 2014/01/03, 09:13:49 by melmarker »

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: d-u wants to remove xpdf and ghostscript-cups
« Reply #1 on: 2013/12/02, 18:20:47 »
On a fully updated siduction system:

root@imerabox:/# apt-cache policy xpdf
xpdf:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.03-11
  Version table:
     3.03-11 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
root@imerabox:/# apt-get install xpdf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libatk-wrapper-java-jni : Depends: libatk-wrapper-java (>= 0.30.4-4) but it is not going to be installed
 libfontconfig1 : Breaks: xpdf (<= 3.03-11) but 3.03-11 is to be installed
 libpango-1.0-0 : Depends: fontconfig (>= 2.1.91)
 xpdf : Depends: libpoppler19 (>= 0.18.4) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libxm4 (>= 2.3.4) but it is not going to be installed
        Recommends: poppler-utils
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
root@imerabox:/#

So, there you go -- classic sid!    :)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2013/12/02, 20:27:21 »
ghostscript-cups is dead, the functionality is now provided by cups-filters afaik. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=730725

hmm. i should close that bug
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

HunkirDowne

« Reply #3 on: 2013/12/02, 20:40:59 »
So, there you go -- classic sid!    :)

Well, I guess I should have known.  Sometimes I forget this is unstable.   ::)

I'll wait on xpdf for a while.  Just after posting the above I was reminded of a nasty bug in LibreOffice that crashes the app when trying to Save As so I'll d-u to see if that fixes.

Many thanks!

HunkirDowne

« Reply #4 on: 2013/12/02, 20:50:22 »
ghostscript-cups is dead, the functionality is now provided by cups-filters afaik. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=730725

hmm. i should close that bug

Well, I guess I should have known </redux>

Most of my printing (>99%) is done via pdf and sneaker net (well from this lptop anyway).  So other than the pdf I wasn't too worried about ghostscripts.  Occassionally I'll print webpages but mostly just out of LibreOffice.  Export to PDF is functionable but lacks granularity.  Incidentally, I print to paper quite a bit at work and having PDF drivers really saves paper from my goof ups.

Thanks!

HunkirDowne

Re: [solved] d-u wants to remove xpdf and ghostscript-cups
« Reply #5 on: 2013/12/02, 23:42:01 »
Final solution was to let xpdf and ghostscripts-cups be removed.  Llibre Office now has print to PDF functionality whereas I could only Export to PDF before, so better.

BTW, I get a similar error when running #apt-get install xpdf after the successful d-u.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: [solved] d-u wants to remove xpdf and ghostscript-cups
« Reply #6 on: 2013/12/02, 23:53:25 »
BTW, I get a similar error when running #apt-get install xpdf after the successful d-u.

I would expect that -- it would be disconcerting if your updated system behaved differently than my updated system.   :D
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO